posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Default HD Video Cameras

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
.. .
Wayne.B wrote in
:

I'm thinking about buying a HiDef video camera, primarily for use on
the boat.

Does anyone have any recommendations or cautionary advice?

Before you jump into the HD realm of video, please look at the demands
that
it places on the system that you're going to use to edit it. HD requires
huge amount of processing power (and memory) to do it well. The vast
majority of Windows based applications/systems can't do real-time editing
of HD video. You almost always have to generate a "proxy" version (low
res) version of the video to do the editing and then generate the HD
output
based upon edits to the proxy version.

Then, if you're going to view the HD output on anything other than your
computer, you'll have to get a BluRay burner, which is expensive and the
media is very expensive relative to DVDs.

All in all, if you've never edited HD video before, I'd be very careful in
wishing for a HD video camera and associated systems to process it. The
camera will just be a small portion of what you'll have to spend to
process
and view the output in HD.

I'll have to go look it up but somewhere I read that a regular DVD burner
like that installed in my laptop can burn high def onto a regular DVD-R and
it will play in a Playstation 3 as a Blu-Ray. Don't jump on me yet .... I
have to go find where I read that and how you do it. I specifically recall
the instructions said that Blu-Ray media is not required however the DVD-R
media will not store as much video.

BTW ... I have no problems editing the HD format (1080/30P) on my laptop
using Roxio. It takes a while to process, but works fine. My laptop is
an HP Pavilion, Vista 64-bit, 4Gb Ram. I haven't done a really long video
yet, but what I've done work fine.

Eisboch

Eisboch

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

"Eisboch" wrote in
:

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
.. .
Wayne.B wrote in
:

I'm thinking about buying a HiDef video camera, primarily for use on
the boat.

Does anyone have any recommendations or cautionary advice?

Before you jump into the HD realm of video, please look at the
demands that
it places on the system that you're going to use to edit it. HD
requires a
[...]

OK, if you call a laptop with 4 GB of RAM running 64 bit Vista a normal
system, then we're in complete agreement. I've edited many hours of HD
material, and can assure you that it takes a LOT of processing power to
crunch all of the data. I've been actively specing out building a quad
core, hyper threaded (call this an 8 processor system) Core i7 system to
do HD video editing.

I personally haven't seen any systems which allow you to write BluRay
format disks on DVDs, but if you say that you can do it, I'll believe it.
Just note that a BluRay disk is 35 GB where as a DVD is 5 GB, so you can
compute how many minutes of video you'll fit on a DVD.

Also, a PS3 is a BluRay player with a hard disk, so you can spend $350 or
whatever the cost is to get both a game console and a BluRay player.
Just note that you'll need some form of BluRay player to view it. If
you're going to just publish DVDs or on YouTube, just use standard def.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 17:56:42 -0500, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

Wayne.B wrote in
:

I'm thinking about buying a HiDef video camera, primarily for use on
the boat.

Does anyone have any recommendations or cautionary advice?

Before you jump into the HD realm of video, please look at the demands that
it places on the system that you're going to use to edit it. HD requires a
huge amount of processing power (and memory) to do it well. The vast
majority of Windows based applications/systems can't do real-time editing
of HD video. You almost always have to generate a "proxy" version (low
res) version of the video to do the editing and then generate the HD output
based upon edits to the proxy version.

Then, if you're going to view the HD output on anything other than your
computer, you'll have to get a BluRay burner, which is expensive and the
media is very expensive relative to DVDs.

All in all, if you've never edited HD video before, I'd be very careful in
wishing for a HD video camera and associated systems to process it. The
camera will just be a small portion of what you'll have to spend to process
and view the output in HD.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Good points Geoff. I have no experience editing video at all so I'm
sure there will be some climbing of the learning curve and surprises
along the way. I recently acquired a quad core desktop with a BluRay
DVD burner, 4 GB of memory and 64 bit Vista. Hopefully that will
give me enough power to get started. Most of my viewing will be on a
HD television or large monitor.

HD Video Cameras Wayne.B General 22 March 14th 09 02:40 AM
Cameras, cameras?? Don White General 19 December 17th 08 04:43 AM
Video Cameras on Kayaks/Canoes BeeRich General 10 October 28th 08 04:31 PM
Impressive Video showing .50 caliber sniper rifle video on targets in Afghanistan HarryKrause General 1 July 10th 05 06:00 PM
video cameras jake General 2 January 23rd 04 08:13 PM