sayah

Default Ebay blowhard Louts

What do we think about people who bid to win on ebay, then fail to follow
through on their commitments?

I am attempting to sell a boat on ebay and have had 2 bidders win auctions
and fail to follow through on their promise to purchase.

DSK

sayah wrote:

What do we think about people who bid to win on ebay, then fail to follow
through on their commitments?

I am attempting to sell a boat on ebay and have had 2 bidders win auctions
and fail to follow through on their promise to purchase.

Under what circumstances did they "fail to follow through?"

1st of all, read the fine print at E-Bay. There is no enforceable contract
between the seller and the winner of the auction.

2nd of all, boats are not particularly suitable items for sale through a
medium like E-Bay, IMHO. Typically boat sales follow a pattern of attracting
an offer, buyer inspection and/or professional survey, revision of offer,
final sales contract, then closing. There is a reason for this, that pattern
offers the best way of protecting both the buyer's and seller's interests;
somewhat like houses.

It may be that the winners of your boat auction were actually 9 year olds
playing on daddy's computer. Or it may be that they felt your boat was
misrepresented and not worth the money. Who can tell?

In any event, DO NOT post a for-sale ad here in this newsgroup, and don't post
a link to your E-Bay auction page either. That is not what this newsgroup is
for, read the charter. A word to the wise and all that....

DSK

Doug Dotson

I think that selling something like a boat on EBAY is foolish
unless it is a dingy or something. Just too risky.

Doug
s/v Callista

"sayah" wrote in message
link.net...
What do we think about people who bid to win on ebay, then fail to follow
through on their commitments?

I am attempting to sell a boat on ebay and have had 2 bidders win auctions
and fail to follow through on their promise to purchase.

Scott Vernon

wrote

Friend of ours just bought a 1967 Morgan 30 on eBay for $2,300. It was

within
driving distance so he could inspect it and it did not cost very much to

move
it to our marina, where it was surveyed. I warned him that would probably

be
the most expensive $2,300 he ever spent, but he didn't listen. After

engine
replacement and God knows what else, he agrees. But he now has a nice

boat.

He likely could have bought a much nicer boat for the same amount of

money.

BB

A nicer 30'er for $2,300 ? Put down the pipe, Bill.

Dan Best

I think he ment $2,300 plus all the money and time he put into it.

--
Dan Best - (707) 431-1662, Healdsburg, CA 95448
B-2/75 1977-1979

Keith

Why would it be risky? All E-Bay does is connect a buyer and a seller, just
like an ad in a newspaper. There is no binding contract when you buy
something on e-bay... the worst that can happen is that you get a bad
feedback mark.

I actually had a winning bidder on a $175,000 boat on e-bay. We proceeded
from there, signing the standard yacht purchase agreement, etc. They backed
out later, but so could anyone in a "regular" sale. The E-bay fees were a
hell of a lot less than the 6% most yacht brokers want! I think this is the
wave of the future in boat sales.

--

Keith
__
"Gogarty" wrote in message
In article ,

says...

I think that selling something like a boat on EBAY is foolish
unless it is a dingy or something. Just too risky.

Friend of ours just bought a 1967 Morgan 30 on eBay for $2,300. It was

within
driving distance so he could inspect it and it did not cost very much to

move
it to our marina, where it was surveyed. I warned him that would probably

be
the most expensive $2,300 he ever spent, but he didn't listen. After

engine
replacement and God knows what else, he agrees. But he now has a nice

boat.

Skip Gundlach

"Keith" wrote in message

I actually had a winning bidder on a $175,000 boat on e-bay. We proceeded
from there, signing the standard yacht purchase agreement, etc. They

backed
out later, but so could anyone in a "regular" sale. The E-bay fees were a
hell of a lot less than the 6% most yacht brokers want! I think this is

the
wave of the future in boat sales.

6%??

Where do you find yacht brokerages who only charge 6%? Not that I'm
selling - just curious - and on smaller boats, particularly, that's a pretty
small payday...

In any event, brokerage fees are earned only at closing, not on listing, as
are E-Bay's.

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a
clear night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize
that you are quite alone on a great, wide sea, it is apt to occur to
you that in the general scheme of things you are merely an
insignificant speck on the surface of the ocean; and are not nearly
so important or as self-sufficient as you thought you were. Which is
an exceedingly wholesome thought, and one that may effect a
permanent change in your deportment that will be greatly appreciated
by your friends." - James S. Pitkin

Keith

That's pretty standard here on the Gulf Coast, Clear Lake / Houston, TX
area. There are some who charge 3-4% as sell, but they act like used car
lots. List lots of boats in the hope that somebody will pick one of them.
Not much selling.

--

Keith
__

boat buying on ebay Grouch Cruising 10 June 19th 04 08:25 PM
Wooden Boat Building Book on Ebay larry Boat Building 0 May 15th 04 02:19 AM
Groco items on EBAY BL Boat Building 2 December 15th 03 09:45 PM
OT- eBay fraud letter..... Gene Kearns General 4 November 30th 03 02:21 AM