Default Travel Restrictions to Cuba May be Dropped

"katy" wrote in message
. com...
Capt. JG wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 11:12:50 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
said:

Maybe we should take a lesson and nationalize all the foreign
interests in
hte USA....
Ya, now there's an idea. :-)
If Nancy and Harry get their way, foreign interests will be the least of
the
batches of businesses to be taken over and run by the geniuses in
guvmint.

Based on what? One sentence in the CBO report? Still waiting for you to
give us suggestions about how to get out of the financial mess caused by
Bushco. So far, all I've heard from you is how terrible the liberals are
doing or will do.

One thing they should do is stop trying to free up more credit...people
cannot borrow when they have no money to repay..that's what got us into
this in the first place..people borrowing what they never could or
intended to repay...extending more credit is certainly no answer...

No one wants people borrowing money they can't repay, and it was certainly
part (but not all) of the problem. Another part of the problem was bundling
these unstable loans and reselling them over and over. That magnified the
problem. There was little or no regulation, and despite Dave's assertions to
the contrary, a big part of that problem was lack of regulation and/or lack
of enforcement (e.g., Madoff is a great example of the latter).

I think you believe that the relm of "freeing up credit" is reserved for
individual consumers, especially those who don't have money. This is not the
case. It's a much bigger problem for those who have decent credit and want
to buy a car, say from GM or from the RV company in the town Obama visited
recently, and it's even a bigger problem for small businesses who can't get
the credit they need to run their business.

Banks don't want to make loans... to anyone. This is a huge part of the
problem.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...

[...]

We used to have an "export based" economy, with high tariffs for imports. We
actually created things of value which we bought ourselves and/or exported
to other countries, and imported mostly luxury items that we could easily do
without. We then moved to an "import based" economy with low tariffs (if
any) for imports, little domestic production of "consumer" (god, how I hate
that term) products, and little to export except for raw materials. Finally,
we moved to a "debt based" economy with nothing of value to export except
our trash, in which we all decided we could get rich selling each other
stocks, oil futures contracts and houses. When the stocks tanked, and the
houses weren't selling, we decided to sell insurance-that-really-wasn't
called "Credit Default Swaps," totally unregulated of course, in which a
mortgage worth $200,000 could be sliced-up into chunks and resold in
packages at 30 times its actual value, but with less than the actual
mortgage value backing it up Meanwhile, the folks buying and selling oil
futures contracts drove the price of gasoline up to $4.50 a gallon or so,
even while supply was increasing and demand was decreasing. As with all such
ponzi schemes, this too came crashing down.

And people wonder what the blazes is wrong with our economy.

"Let's borrow our way to prosperity!"

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
It's on my list... that would be great news.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

The ban on gays would remain in place. Bummer for you.

--
Gregory Hall

"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 10:30:00 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

Banks don't want to make loans... to anyone. This is a huge part of the
problem.

I deal with banks and banking regulators all day long, Jon. That's simply
untrue.

A major problem is fear on the part of both the regulators and the
regulated. The banking regulators are deathly afraid that if they let
banks
make too many loans in relation to their capital base, and the banks later
go south, the regulators will be criticized. So they pressure banks to
write
down the value of their existing loans. That hits the bank's regulatory
capital, reducing the amount of new money the banks can legally lend.

The bankers are afraid the regulators are going to require them to write
down their existing loans further. If that happens, and the banks have
been
lending more money, they will be out of compliance with regulatory capital
requirements, subjecting the banks to regulatory orders, limits on their
activities, and perhaps even monetary penalties on the directors and
management. So the bankers reduce the amount of loans they are making to
create a cushion in case the regulators go crazy.

The underlying problem is that nobody really knows what the value of
existing outstanding loans really is.

So, as you said, "bankers reduce the amount of loans they are making...."
And, as I said, they don't want to make loans.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Dave wrote:
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 09:45:57 -0800, "Capt. JG" said:

financial mess caused by Bushco

You just keep chanting that mantra, Jon. It'll make you feel better when the
rest of the folks catch on to what actually happened.

Actually, there is plenty of blame to spread all around on all sides
of the political spectrum.
I'd love to see a national push to "dump the incumbent" campaign. Our
political system was never intended as a lifelong money teat for a few
individuals and look where it's gotten us!

said:

financial mess caused by Bushco

You just keep chanting that mantra, Jon. It'll make you feel better when
the
rest of the folks catch on to what actually happened.

You just keep denying reality. Which "rest of folks"? The unemployed ones?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Gordon" wrote in message
m...
said:

financial mess caused by Bushco

You just keep chanting that mantra, Jon. It'll make you feel better when
the
rest of the folks catch on to what actually happened.

Actually, there is plenty of blame to spread all around on all sides of
the political spectrum.
I'd love to see a national push to "dump the incumbent" campaign. Our
political system was never intended as a lifelong money teat for a few
individuals and look where it's gotten us!

Agreed... there's plenty of blame to go around. Dave is unwilling to blame
Bush for any of it. Butter wouldn't melt in Bush's mouth.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions..

snipped.
I think you believe that the relm of "freeing up credit" is reserved for
individual consumers, especially those who don't have money. This is not
the case. It's a much bigger problem for those who have decent credit and
want to buy a car, say from GM or from the RV company in the town Obama
visited recently, and it's even a bigger problem for small businesses who
can't get the credit they need to run their business.

Banks don't want to make loans... to anyone. This is a huge part of the
problem.

I think that the automobile industry is a special case.
Most people need a loan to buy a new car and most people also have a
perfectly serviceable older car which they can go on running without further
borrowing until things settle down a bit and they are reasonably sure that
next year they will still have a job.
So my guess is that even if the banks loosen up on loans the car industry
is in for a thin time and this applies to all car manufacturing countries
not just USA..

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions..

snipped.
[...]

And, would anyone really want to buy a car from a company that might just go
out of business....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 14:21:23 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

. ..
said:

financial mess caused by Bushco

You just keep chanting that mantra, Jon. It'll make you feel better when
the
rest of the folks catch on to what actually happened.

You just keep denying reality. Which "rest of folks"?

I have every confidence you'll be the last to catch on.

I would be after you on that...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com