JAXAshby

Default 40W oil causing wear problems over 30w?

Interestingly enough, 15-40W is spec correct for both the mains and genset.

15-40W lubes a cold engine sooner upon cold engine start up than 30W or 40W oil
does.

You can hear the difference.
JAXAshby

Oil too thick = may not lubricate completely between surfaces that are closer
together, where the lighter oil is designed to flow.

this is not true in an engine. the difference is important during cold engine
startup.
JAXAshby

15-40W lubes a cold engine sooner upon cold engine start up than 30W or 40W
oil
does.

You can hear the difference.

While that maybe true, in this case we will not be seeing low ambient temps.
And if we were to, we would change the weight of the oil.

"cold" is maybe 80* for engine startup while oil operating temps can be well
over 200*. 15W-40 lubes much quicker at 80* than does 40W.
spare-me-spam

Sure you do. Your 90 deg F startup temp is a world of difference from
the 100 -110 deg C operating oil temps, in terms of pumpability.

"LaBomba182" wrote in message
| Subject: 40W oil causing wear problems over 30w?
|
| Interestingly enough, 15-40W is spec correct for both the mains and
genset.

| 15-40W lubes a cold engine sooner upon cold engine start up than 30W
or 40W
| oil
| does.
|
| You can hear the difference.
|
| While that maybe true, in this case we will not be seeing low ambient
temps.
| And if we were to, we would change the weight of the oil.
|
| Capt. Bill

LaBomba182

Subject: 40W oil causing wear problems over 30w?
From: "spare-me-spam"

Sure you do. Your 90 deg F startup temp is a world of difference from
the 100 -110 deg C operating oil temps, in terms of pumpability.

Perhaps true. But not enough to warrant a change in weights.

Capt. Bill
JAXAshby

Perhaps true. But not enough to warrant a change in weights.

the SAE thinks otherwise.

Problems with Stingray Boat HELP Brian Cruising 1 May 30th 12 05:43 AM
Mercury 60 HP Problems sunedog General 1 July 13th 04 09:52 PM
Mercruiser 470 Problems - can somebody help ? Olaf-C. Lepthien General 4 September 25th 03 08:02 AM
help....power loss problems? Russell Hermansen General 3 September 24th 03 10:36 PM