Gerald Atkin

Default Dinghy-Tow

Am curious if anyone has experience with using a Dinghy-Tow. This is the
device that allows you to tow a dinghy with it partially raised out of the
water. Am thinkingabout using it to reduce the drag of towing in the usual
manner.

Jerry
Paul L

I've put a few thousand miles on mine behind my J/37. It works well. You get
much reduced (almost eliminated) drag from towing the dink and an easy way
to store and secure it. You can leave the engine on the dink in reasonable
conditions. In heavier conditions the engine needs to be off. I've used it
in some decent wind/wave conditions (West coast of Vancouver Island) and had
no problem.

Paul
www.jcruiser.org
"Gerald Atkin" wrote in message
Am curious if anyone has experience with using a Dinghy-Tow. This is the
device that allows you to tow a dinghy with it partially raised out of the
water. Am thinkingabout using it to reduce the drag of towing in the usual
manner.

Jerry

Paul L

Take a look at their web site, if you have any questions about my experience
with it, ask away.
http://www.dinghy-tow.com/

Paul
www.jcruiser.org

Paul L wrote:

[...]

Gerald Atkin

We saw the Dinghy-Tow at a boat show last year and it looked like a great
concept. Ww down sized to a Dana 24 sailboat but have a 9' Caribe
inflatable with a 9.8 engine. We really do not want to have less of a
dinghy. This year we plan to tow it to see how much drag there is and if it
is more than expected then we thought we would try the Dinghy-Tow.

Any suggestions or recommendations on using, setting up etc.

Jerry

Paul L

The directions for install are pretty straight forward. Depending on
conditions, most of the time you can leave the outboard on the dink. It will
be hauled out of the water and next to the stern. Not having to haul it on
and off the dink is nice. You can also put the engine on and off while
standing on the stern. For a small boat, like a Dana, I'd think this would
be a good performance boost. On my J/37 it makes a lot of difference in
speed between straight towing and using the dinghy-tow.

Paul
www.jcruiser.org
"Gerald Atkin" wrote in message
We saw the Dinghy-Tow at a boat show last year and it looked like a great
concept. Ww down sized to a Dana 24 sailboat but have a 9' Caribe
inflatable with a 9.8 engine. We really do not want to have less of a
dinghy. This year we plan to tow it to see how much drag there is and if

it
is more than expected then we thought we would try the Dinghy-Tow.

Any suggestions or recommendations on using, setting up etc.

Jerry

Help with PVC Dinghy repair. William F. Yehle II Boat Building 0 July 8th 04 03:10 PM
collapsible dinghy Parallax Boat Building 1 May 9th 04 05:24 PM
dinghy evaluation Parallax Cruising 6 March 31st 04 06:18 AM
Skull Creek Marina complaint Aaron Cruising 8 October 14th 03 08:33 PM
What's the best dinghy for cruising and why? Harvey Porter Cruising 15 August 22nd 03 01:37 AM