Joe Joe is offline

Default Kitty Hawk

Helo on the bow just landed. Had a bit of salt water intrusion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sYK-OG3xng

Joe

Joe wrote:
Helo on the bow just landed. Had a bit of salt water intrusion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sYK-OG3xng

Joe

yokes!

"Joe" wrote in message
Helo on the bow just landed. Had a bit of salt water intrusion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sYK-OG3xng

Joe

Probably not a good way to hose it off...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
Helo on the bow just landed. Had a bit of salt water intrusion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sYK-OG3xng

Joe

Ship is going into the wind so one would expect that the helo approached
over the stern.
So why did he end up so far forward?
Big maintenance job ahead on that aircraft.

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Joe" wrote in message
Helo on the bow just landed. Had a bit of salt water intrusion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sYK-OG3xng

Joe

Ship is going into the wind so one would expect that the helo approached
over the stern.
So why did he end up so far forward?
Big maintenance job ahead on that aircraft.

Too much work -- they'll just push it over the side and we'll buy 'em
another.

Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 7, 5:29*pm, "Edgar" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

Helo on the bow just landed. Had a bit of salt water intrusion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sYK-OG3xng

Joe

Ship is going into the wind so one would expect that the helo approached
over the stern.
*So why did he end up so far forward?
Big maintenance job ahead on that aircraft.

"The aircraft seen in the attached video is a helo from a deployed
helicopter squadron (HS-14) based at the U.S. Naval Air Facility in
Atsugi, Japan.

The carrier is the USS Kitty Hawk, based in Yokosuka, Japan.

The 'Hawk' was underway for CQ (Airwing Carrier Qualifications) in
the
Sea of Japan during the week of March 22, 2008.

The helo seen on the ship's bow, tied down at helo Spot 2, is a
Sikorsky
SH-60F from HS-14. The pilot had just landed on deck, and his helo
was
tied down on Spot 2 because the seas were too rough to move it to a
safer place.

Fortunately, it only suffered some minor damage (blade crutch support
socket) and a lot of salt water intrusion from the sea.

While viewing the video and estimating the size of the waves, keep in
mind that the carrier's flight deck is approximately 60 feet above
the
ship's normal water line.........that would make those waves
about. !!!!! "

Joe
MMC MMC is offline

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Joe" wrote in message
Helo on the bow just landed. Had a bit of salt water intrusion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sYK-OG3xng

Joe

Ship is going into the wind so one would expect that the helo approached
over the stern.
So why did he end up so far forward?
Big maintenance job ahead on that aircraft.

Too much work -- they'll just push it over the side and we'll buy 'em
another.

Naw, I'd bet those aviation maint guys tore in down and cleaned it up. I
rode a few ships with helo crews and I swear I never saw anyone work harder.
Anytime the helos did an in water recovery of personnel (where the helo
actually sits in the water), they'd tear all the panels out of the deck and
bulkheads and clean out all the salt.
The Navy (actually all branches) keeps their helos operational for decades
and their is a LOT of maintenance required to do this.