Jeff Morris

Default Oar length

If you really want to row, you need 8 foot oars.
http://www.shawandtenney.com/sandtfaq.htm

They make very nice oars, well worth the investment:
http://www.shawandtenney.com

"Dave" wrote in message
Gotta buy some new oars for a newly acquired dinghy. The question is what
size. Dinghy is an 8' Atlantic. I'd guess the beam must be about 54," though
it seems wider when I throw it on the car top. So do I need 5 1/2 ft. oars,
or 6'?

Dave
S/V Good Fortune
CS27

Glenn Ashmore

Jeff Morris wrote:

If you really want to row, you need 8 foot oars.
http://www.shawandtenney.com/sandtfaq.htm

They make very nice oars, well worth the investment:
http://www.shawandtenney.com

I have a set of S&Ts. Only one thing wrong with them. They are so
beautiful I am reluctant to put them in the water.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Rod McInnis

"Dave" wrote in message
Gotta buy some new oars for a newly acquired dinghy. The question is what
size. Dinghy is an 8' Atlantic. I'd guess the beam must be about 54,"

though
it seems wider when I throw it on the car top. So do I need 5 1/2 ft.

oars,
or 6'?

I have found that for the best rowing ability a longer oar is better. They
don't store well, however, so if you want to be able to row up the side of
your boat or dock, leave the oars in the oar locks and set the blade into
the boat it will need to be a lot shorter.

Rod

Tom Hunter

Dave,

I row an 18' pulling boat. I used to race it and I have done plenty of
medium distance (10+ miles) and some long distance rowing.

My boat is 42" wide at the widest point. I have two sets of oars a pair of
8' Shaw and Tenny spoons and a pair of 9' Milton Fancy dory oars.

Longer oars are like the higher gears on a bicycle. They give you more
leverage and greater pull through the water. I can make my boat go faster
with the 9' oars than with the 8' oars.

But there is a second factor the hull speed of the boat. The 9' oars push
the boat up over the hull speed and I get a bigger wave without much gain in
speed. I also get tired out faster.

The 8' Shaw and Tenny's push the boat almost as fast as the 9' footers but I
can go much farther. When I used to race I trained with the 9' footers and
raced with the 8s unless it was a short race.

The hull speed on your 8 footer is going to be lots slower than on my 18'
footer so I doubt you need 8 foot oars to hit it.

I'm going to guess that 6' would be a bit better but part of that depends on
how high your seat is and how much freeboard you have. If you want rowing
to be easy but not neccissarily as fast go down to 5'6". Either way there
will not be a lot of difference.

Beware the math on the Shaw and Tenny site. Its written for boats that were
designed to row and is not completely applicable to modern dinghys though it
is can be helpful.

Thier oars are wonderful.

Good luck.

"Dave" wrote in message
Gotta buy some new oars for a newly acquired dinghy. The question is what
size. Dinghy is an 8' Atlantic. I'd guess the beam must be about 54,"

though
it seems wider when I throw it on the car top. So do I need 5 1/2 ft.

oars,
or 6'?

Dave
S/V Good Fortune
CS27

---

Matt Colie

Dave,

Yes, longer oars are almost always better. But

All of these nice people are missing an important point.

If they do not stow in the boat, they can be a real big pain.

For all of my dinks, I have at least a set of oars that will lay across
the seats and stay in the the boat.

Matt Colie
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Congential Sailor