Default Sprinkler Systems on Cargo ship question.

This summer while sailing on the St. Lawrence I was passed by a bulk
carrier. The deck hatches were closed, as one would expect, however the
deck was being sprayed by a sprinkler system from bow to aft superstructure.

Since then I have noticed several similar vessels, also with deck
sprinklers running full tilt.

What is the purpose of this?

Cheers
Martin

"Marty" wrote in message

This summer while sailing on the St. Lawrence I was passed by a bulk
carrier. The deck hatches were closed, as one would expect, however the
deck was being sprayed by a sprinkler system from bow to aft
superstructure.

Since then I have noticed several similar vessels, also with deck
sprinklers running full tilt.

What is the purpose of this?

Cheers
Martin

? testing the fire suppression system?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

MMC MMC is offline

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"Marty" wrote in message

This summer while sailing on the St. Lawrence I was passed by a bulk
carrier. The deck hatches were closed, as one would expect, however the
deck was being sprayed by a sprinkler system from bow to aft
superstructure.

Since then I have noticed several similar vessels, also with deck
sprinklers running full tilt.

What is the purpose of this?

Cheers
Martin

? testing the fire suppression system?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

If the water is fresh in that part of the river (I know where the St
Lawrence river is but that's about it) they may be taking advantage to wash
off the salt.

mmc wrote:
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"Marty" wrote in message
This summer while sailing on the St. Lawrence I was passed by a bulk
carrier. The deck hatches were closed, as one would expect, however the
deck was being sprayed by a sprinkler system from bow to aft
superstructure.

Since then I have noticed several similar vessels, also with deck
sprinklers running full tilt.

What is the purpose of this?

Cheers
Martin

? testing the fire suppression system?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

If the water is fresh in that part of the river (I know where the St
Lawrence river is but that's about it) they may be taking advantage to wash
off the salt.

Not likely, in each case they were downbound. It was hot, I thought
maybe they were keeping their cargo cool,,, does one need to keep wheat
cool?

Just read this from boatnerd.com

"Hogging is a term used when a vessel is bent up in the middle due to
any number of factors. On the Great Lakes this happens to vessels in hot
weather where the upper part is heated more than the submerged part.
Thats why you see boats with sprinkler systems spraying cool water over
the decks to reduce this hogging. It can also happen with the uneven
distribution of the cargo during loading or discharge (sometimes to
catastrophic results) where the major portion of the cargo is at the
ends of the boat i.e. for'd or after holds"

Learn something new everyday!

Cheers
Martin
MMC MMC is offline

"Marty" wrote in message
mmc wrote:
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"Marty" wrote in message
[...]

Ha! Pretty wild.
Yep, the older I get the less I think I know.

mmc wrote:

Learn something new everyday!

Cheers
Martin

Ha! Pretty wild.
Yep, the older I get the less I think I know.

More a case of the more I realize I don't know, a la Rumsfeld,, there
are known knowns, there are known unknowns, there are unknown knowns.....

Cheers
Martin

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 19:01:54 -0500, Marty wrote:

mmc wrote:
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"Marty" wrote in message
[...]

Sure. For a coefficient of 6 ppm/ deg F., reasonable for iron or
steel,a 30 deg temp diff, gets you 1.3 inch for a 600 footer. Couldn't
see that with the naked eye. Waves deform ships to an obvious degree,
however.

Casady

Big Ship Piracy Question Bart ASA 4 July 1st 07 04:34 AM
not a tall ship.. but does anyone recognise this 1940s ship? (link in message) Boyd Tall Ship Photos 2 April 2nd 07 05:25 PM
Tall Ship Question: What is an idler? Bart Senior ASA 15 April 11th 06 03:42 PM
USMM Question~Libery Ship. Joe ASA 17 April 6th 06 05:52 PM
question on ship travel Anthony Stock Tall Ships 3 March 22nd 05 04:39 PM