Default dock box A/C mystery

"Marty" wrote in message
news
Larry wrote:

To turn the breaker off requires a finger to push on one side of the
breaker toggle handle. Coat that side with greasepencil lightly so it's
not very evident. Make the coat smooth so we can see that fingerprint of
the SOB that's flipping the breaker on you. That will let use at least
see "SOMEONE" is flipping it off.

Office supply places also have a permanent staining red ink that won't
wash off. It's available in non-drying printer's ink like they put on a
press with a roller. It takes months to "dry". You could coat the
toggle with that then casually watch marina people's fingers for the
indelible red stain....

Larry, you are a devious son-of-a-bitch! :-)

Cheers
Martin

I have known that for years......

Leanne

Marty wrote in newsZ-
:

Larry, you are a devious son-of-a-bitch! :-)

Cheers
Martin

Thank you!....

He's probably made an enemy on the dock. They can do more to you than an
emeny on usenet...

Capt. JG wrote:
I've recently had an interesting, perplexing, and disturbing situation come
up...

I suspect someone is doing it. To find out when, go to the thrift shop
and find an old clock that has a mechanical calendar and run it on the
A/C power.

"Larry" wrote in message
Marty wrote in newsZ-
:

Larry, you are a devious son-of-a-bitch! :-)

Cheers
Martin

Thank you!....

He's probably made an enemy on the dock. They can do more to you than an
emeny on usenet...

Is that another conspiracy theory we should check out? LOL

They're all friends of mine...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"jeff" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
I've recently had an interesting, perplexing, and disturbing situation
come up...

I suspect someone is doing it. To find out when, go to the thrift shop
and find an old clock that has a mechanical calendar and run it on the A/C
power.

Interesting suggestion. I think it's probably maint. crew that won't fess
up, since they've been doing a lot lately. I was thinking it would be nice
to get notified when it goes out. I'm betting there's some device on the
market that could email me, but it's probably expensive.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 21:11:11 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

Interesting suggestion. I think it's probably maint. crew that won't fess
up, since they've been doing a lot lately. I was thinking it would be nice
to get notified when it goes out. I'm betting there's some device on the
market that could email me, but it's probably expensive.

Do you have WiFi internet available at the dock ?

If so you could rig a web cam.

wrote:

Interesting suggestion. I think it's probably maint. crew that won't fess
up, since they've been doing a lot lately. I was thinking it would be nice
to get notified when it goes out. I'm betting there's some device on the
market that could email me, but it's probably expensive.

Do you have WiFi internet available at the dock ?

If so you could rig a web cam.

Or if not, a still camera *could* be rigged to take a photo on power
failure. If there is WiFi, install something like Skype or other VOIP
solution hooked to a hailer as well.

"{siren} **STAND** **AWAY** **FROM** **THE** **DOCK** **BOX** {siren}"

If you are lucky and it is a person they might be so startled they fall
off the pontoon :-)

But seriously, take the lead off and open each end for a full visual
inspection. Any rust staining or other buildup on the plastic insulator
between the pins *MUST* be cleaned off, if it doesn't clean up well
replace it. Dead spiders removed etc. Any signs of water penetration
and you'll need to either replace the plug or line socket or at least
make sure the rubber boot is sealing properly. If you have to disconnect
any wires, be sure you know where they go and reassemble with a very
little silicone dielectric grease.

On Dec 19, 9:09*pm, Larry wrote:
He's probably made an enemy on the dock. *

More likely that someone has a heavy electrical load and is tripping
one of the main breakers at the distribution panel. The power pylons
are wired based on the assumption that not all pylons will be
supplying full power at the same time. I don't know what the
conventional ratios are; it would not surprise me if ten 30A outlets
are fed by a 100A distribution circuit. If someone is plugged into two
30A outlets (charger/house/water heater on one and heat pumps on the
second) and regularly drawing a total of 50As it wouldn't take very
many other smaller consumers on the same circuit to trip the
distribution breaker. Through a couple of electric heaters into the
mix and the loads get big.

I have wintered at a couple of marinas with home runs from each power
pylon to the distribution panels. The cabling under the docks was
truly impressive. In other places the winter liveaboards and frequent
winter boaters were redistributed in the slips to keep loads on
different distribution circuits. Even so we quickly figured out which
boats we could turn off power to on really cold nights. It's polite to
turn them back on in the morning however.

Just a thought.

sail fast, dave

Here's a mystery for you... Short Wave Sportfishing General 11 May 8th 07 12:16 PM
Here's a mystery for you... Bert Robbins General 4 October 8th 06 05:32 PM
Here's a mystery for you... Clams Canino General 0 October 8th 06 01:59 PM
12V mystery Dene General 8 April 28th 06 06:09 AM
would like to build a low tide dock, or how do you get folks on your boat without a dock ? MIKE Cruising 6 May 12th 04 03:37 PM