JAXAshby

Default Unconditionally stable sailboats

My, my, my but the things one can learn on a usenet group. Just recently I
learned that cruising catamaran sailboats are unconditionally stable, that is
stable under any and all conditions.

That is incredibly good news, for once yacht designers find this out, once boat
builders commit themselves to building only catamarans, once legislation is
passed forbidding the purchase of any boat but a catamaran one sailboat will
ever again capsize.

That is great news. Let's get on with the salvation of the sailing world.
Unite!!
Rod McInnis

"JAXAshby" wrote in message

My, my, my but the things one can learn on a usenet group. Just recently

learned that cruising catamaran sailboats are unconditionally stable, that

is
stable under any and all conditions.

Oh, this is very true!

Unfortunately, the unconditionally stable position is with the mast pointed
down.

Rod

Jeff Morris

"Rod McInnis" wrote in message
My, my, my but the things one can learn on a usenet group. Just recently

learned that cruising catamaran sailboats are unconditionally stable, that

is
stable under any and all conditions.

Oh, this is very true!

Unfortunately, the unconditionally stable position is with the mast pointed
down.

Monohulls are unconditionally stable when sitting on the bottom.

DSK

Jeff Morris wrote:
Monohulls are unconditionally stable when sitting on the bottom.

Except for the ones with positive flotation.

DSK

Armond Perretta

Jeff Morris wrote:
"Rod McInnis" wrote ...

My, my, my but the things one can learn on a usenet group. Just
recently I learned that cruising catamaran sailboats are
unconditionally stable, that is stable under any and all
conditions.

Unfortunately, the unconditionally stable position is with the
mast pointed down.

Monohulls are unconditionally stable when sitting on the bottom.

Why does it usually seem that this subject is argued on an "either/or"
basis.
There are advantages to either approach. Is this really surprising to
anyone here?

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Brian Whatcott

On Mon, 24 May 2004 19:27:30 -0400, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

Jeff Morris wrote:
"Rod McInnis" wrote ...

My, my, my but the things one can learn on a usenet group. Just
recently I learned that cruising catamaran sailboats are
unconditionally stable, that is stable under any and all
conditions.

Unfortunately, the unconditionally stable position is with the
mast pointed down.

Monohulls are unconditionally stable when sitting on the bottom.

Why does it usually seem that this subject is argued on an "either/or"
basis.
There are advantages to either approach. Is this really surprising to
anyone here?

I've been reluctant to enter this thread because of the significant
contribution from the lunatic fringe.

Still, for what it's worth:
if you define "unconditionally stable" as meaning "unconditionally
self righting from any start orientation while the structure is
intact", there are several well-known examples.
Perhaps the one that comes first to mind, is a trans-Atlantic rowboat.
This had buoyant sponsons at either gunwale, but more importantly,
raised flotation structures at bows and stern, so that it could not
maintain a capsized orientation.
This illustrates that flotation sufficient to prevent sinking is not
enough for this classification. There must be a righting moment,
which can originate with a mast head float, and buoyancy compartments
and low CG keel mass but arranged so that the vessel will erect on
the sea surface from any roll angle. This can be arranged for
monohulls and multihulls. Sailors may not always like the features
needed though....

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
Jeff Morris

"Armond Perretta" wrote in message
Unfortunately, the unconditionally stable position is with the
mast pointed down.

Monohulls are unconditionally stable when sitting on the bottom.

Why does it usually seem that this subject is argued on an "either/or"
basis.
There are advantages to either approach. Is this really surprising to
anyone here?

It was a joke, Armond. We gave up on rational discussion when Jax entered.

--
-jeff www.sv-loki.com
If you can't say something nice, say something surrealistic. -Zippy

JAXAshby

armand hammer, the comment was that two-hullers are so lost to this universe
that they will convince themselves that their precious training wheels are
**unconditionally** stable, a statement so stupid as to defy comprehension.
do's boys shore do have fraydie cat wives, donch dem?

Why does it usually seem that this subject is argued on an "either/or"
basis.
There are advantages to either approach. Is this really surprising to
anyone here?

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://kerrydeare.home.comcast.net/

JAXAshby

brian, stay with the class. the class period after next you can go into your
science fiction and horse breeding on weightless space station stuff. please
stay with the class for now, though.

"Rod McInnis" wrote ...