Phil

Default Painting Teak

I have teak window frames on my trawler that have peeling varnish that I
would like to strip and paint white. I had read somewhere that its a good
idea to put a base of varnish on the bare wood to seal it from the paint in
case in the future, someone else would rather have varnish then the paint
wouldn't be imbedded in to the wood.
Any comments or suggestions? What would be the best wood prep and the
longest lasting and best paint to use?
Thanks,
Phil

fragged

and why would you want to paint teak
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????
?????????????????????

"Phil" wrote in message
. com...
I have teak window frames on my trawler that have peeling varnish that I
would like to strip and paint white. I had read somewhere that its a good
idea to put a base of varnish on the bare wood to seal it from the paint

in
case in the future, someone else would rather have varnish then the paint
wouldn't be imbedded in to the wood.
Any comments or suggestions? What would be the best wood prep and the
longest lasting and best paint to use?
Thanks,
Phil

Rachel and Steve

Hi Phil

I had to coat the teak toe rails on my yacht with something as the teak was
worn and the soft wood was wearing out of the grooves, it was either that or
replace them. The main problem is that teak has a lot of natural oil, you
have to get whatever coating you use to penetrate and form a good bond with
the teak. I used marine varnish. After preparing the teak, using a teak
cleaner then giving it a good sand I applied the first coat of varnish
heavily thinned, this caused it to penetrate the teak making a good initial
bond. I then gave it a further 5 normal coats and built up a good depth of
varnish and after 4 years and many ocean miles it still looks good.

If you could find an appropriate primer that you could thin sufficiently to
penetrate the teak you might be able to do the same thing with paint or
perhaps give it an initial layer of pure epoxy and paint over that? Thats
probably why they suggested using a coat of varnish as if you just sand your
teak the initial bond with your first coat of paint probably wouldn't be
that good.

regards

Steve

Keith

I hate the thought of painting teak, but if you have to prime, I'd recommend
CPES (clear penetrating epoxy sealer). See:
http://www.rotdoc.com/boat/02sealer.html

--

Keith
__
"Rachel and Steve" wrote in message
[...]

beldar

Phil the philistine wrote:
I have teak window frames on my trawler that have peeling varnish that I
would like to strip and paint white.

my god man have you lost your senses?!?
Capt. Bill

beldar wrote in message le.rogers.com...
Phil the philistine wrote:
I have teak window frames on my trawler that have peeling varnish that I
would like to strip and paint white.

my god man have you lost your senses?!?

Sounds like he's come to his senses to me.

I've done this many times. And if you think you or a future owner
would like to return the frames back to a varnish finish one day, I
would start with a couple of coats of West Systems UV stabilized clean
coat epoxy. Then prime and paint. If you want the longest lasting
finish use a two part urathane.
Phil

I guess that's why I thought putting a varnish coat down first before the
primer as it could be removed at a later date with a heat gun. Epoxy would
have to be stripped off chemically, wouldn't it? The white paint over it
should protect it anyway.
The boat has a ton of varnish on it and I keep up with it ok but I have seen
other boats with the window frames painted white and I like it. I though the
paint would give me a little more life than varnish and just a little bit
less maintanance. All my decks are natural teak but that is all that I want
natural.

"Capt. Bill" wrote in message

Sounds like he's come to his senses to me.

I've done this many times. And if you think you or a future owner
would like to return the frames back to a varnish finish one day, I
would start with a couple of coats of West Systems UV stabilized clean
coat epoxy. Then prime and paint. If you want the longest lasting
finish use a two part urathane.

beldar

Phil the philistine wrote:

I have teak window frames on my trawler that have peeling varnish that I
would like to strip and paint white.

my god man have you lost your senses?!?

Sounds like he's come to his senses to me.

bah! philistines! buy yourself some tupperware if you want white!
teak's too good for the likes of you!
Florida Keyz

pesonally, I think teak should be on anyone elses boat.

Teak Deck Panels J.T. Tuomela Boat Building 5 June 30th 04 11:29 PM
Painting Teak Phil Boat Building 2 May 26th 04 02:17 PM
Teak Ruminations Wendy Cruising 0 February 4th 04 07:34 PM
Teak Surfing... doesn't anyone read the papers anymore??? Calif Bill General 0 July 22nd 03 06:53 AM