MLapla4120

Default What are some qualities I should be looking for in a deisel engine?

Hi,
I in the early stage of thinking about re-powering. I have an 11 ton
sailboat.
I'm starting to do research on engines but am wondering what I should be
looking
for in an engine. I plan to cruise. I know I want fresh-water cooling, and
about
40 horses. Price of engine and spares is a factor. Parts availibility and
service
is also a concern.
What else should I be looking for?

Thanks
Rich Hampel

Direct retrofit so you dont have to alter the engine beds, prop or
shafting.

In article , MLapla4120
wrote:

Hi,
I in the early stage of thinking about re-powering. I have an 11 ton
sailboat.
I'm starting to do research on engines but am wondering what I should be
looking
for in an engine. I plan to cruise. I know I want fresh-water cooling, and
about
40 horses. Price of engine and spares is a factor. Parts availibility and
service
is also a concern.
What else should I be looking for?

Thanks

Evan Gatehouse

"MLapla4120" wrote in message
Hi,
I in the early stage of thinking about re-powering. I have an 11 ton
sailboat.
I'm starting to do research on engines but am wondering what I should be
looking
for in an engine. I plan to cruise. I know I want fresh-water cooling,

and
about
40 horses. Price of engine and spares is a factor. Parts availibility and
service
is also a concern.
What else should I be looking for?

If "I plan to cruise" means extended distances far from your home port,
Yanmar seems to have the best support in far away places. Volvo parts
prices are very high to make up for lower first cost. That's why you see so
many of them in new boats

They are the big two of small marine diesels. Everybody else is far down
the list of % sales. That doesn't mean they make bad engines, just their
dealer network will be a lot smaller and not as international.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

Keith

Take a look at John Deere marine diesels. They have tractors everywhere!

--

Keith
__
"Evan Gatehouse" wrote in message

[...]

Is there a good website for marine deisel engine info? MLapla4120 Cruising 1 May 15th 04 01:35 AM
power vs sail O:P\) Cruising 36 March 18th 04 02:27 AM
Engine News from Genmar Gould 0738 General 8 October 27th 03 04:47 PM
Usage of motoroil Steven Shelikoff General 153 September 17th 03 12:55 PM