Default Question for anyone who has worked with Star Board

I need to make a hatch frame that involves some complex curved rabbets and
am thinking of using Star Board so as not to wind up with more wood trim
that needs re-finishing.

How easily does Star Board work with a chisel, planes, and similar hand
tools? I've worked with some other fake woods and they are pretty ornery in
this regard.

--
Roger Long

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 07:02:51 -0500, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I need to make a hatch frame that involves some complex curved rabbets and
am thinking of using Star Board so as not to wind up with more wood trim
that needs re-finishing.

How easily does Star Board work with a chisel, planes, and similar hand
tools? I've worked with some other fake woods and they are pretty ornery in
this regard.

I use regular woodworking tools on Starboard. High speed tends to melt
it, but otherwise it's very easy to work. Rather then chisels and
such, you would be better off with a rotozip or die grinder with
various attachments, such as a small drum sander and a side cutting
drill bit.

I don't have A/C on my boat so I bought an inexpensive Ryobi rotary
tool at Home Depot that has proven very handy on the boat. Takes all
the standard dremel and roto zip bits. The EZ metal cutoff wheel has
been very handy and effective for flush cutting excess length from
bolts.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100007658&N=10000003+9 0401+502400

I have a bunch of Ryobi 18 volt tools, so I already had the batteries
for it. Ryobi tools are inexpensive, work well and they all take the
universal "one fit" 18 volt battery.

Can't say much about hand tools, but I've dressed the edges of Starboard
with a shaper, and it gave a real smooth cut.
I guess you are aware of Starboard's high coefficient of thermal expansion.
You also need special glue, otherwise, mechanical fasteners.

On 2008-11-16 07:02:51 -0500, "Roger Long" said:

I need to make a hatch frame that involves some complex curved rabbets and
am thinking of using Star Board so as not to wind up with more wood trim
that needs re-finishing.

How easily does Star Board work with a chisel, planes, and similar hand
tools? I've worked with some other fake woods and they are pretty ornery in
this regard.

I think SaltyDog covered the "working" aspects of it, but I wonder
about the longevity of the stuff. It's soft and I expect likely to
discolor fairly quickly if it's left in the sun, subject to the harsh
chemicals of cleaning, abuse of scrubbing....

--
Jere Lull

wrote:

[...]

Aw Dog, you put me to shame here.
I'm still lost is 12 volt land.

I'll upgrade - some day...
--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

On 2008-11-16 07:02:51 -0500, "Roger Long" said:

I need to make a hatch frame that involves some complex curved rabbets and
am thinking of using Star Board so as not to wind up with more wood trim
that needs re-finishing.

How easily does Star Board work with a chisel, planes, and similar hand
tools? *I've worked with some other fake woods and they are pretty ornery in
this regard.

I think SaltyDog covered the "working" aspects of it, but I wonder
about the longevity of the stuff. It's soft and I expect likely to
discolor fairly quickly if it's left in the sun, subject to the harsh
chemicals of cleaning, abuse of scrubbing....

--
Jere Lull
Xan's pages:http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/
Our BVI trips & tips:http://homepage.mac.com/jerelull/BVI/

It doesn't discolor in the sun. And it doesn't seem to be effected by
most common cleaners.

"King StarBoard® is known for its ability to endure the constant
punishment of the sun, water and weather in harsh marine environments.
It won’t rot, warp, discolor or delaminate and it never needs painting
or refinishing. This makes it a smarter option than wood, wood
laminates and ordinary plastic. King StarBoard maintains its shape,
color and finish for a lifetime of worry-free use. Cleanup is a snap
with common household cleaners."

Capt. Bill

On 2008-11-16 07:02:51 -0500, "Roger Long" said:

I need to make a hatch frame that involves some complex curved rabbets and
am thinking of using Star Board so as not to wind up with more wood trim
that needs re-finishing.

How easily does Star Board work with a chisel, planes, and similar hand
tools? I've worked with some other fake woods and they are pretty ornery in
this regard.

I think SaltyDog covered the "working" aspects of it, but I wonder
about the longevity of the stuff. It's soft and I expect likely to
discolor fairly quickly if it's left in the sun, subject to the harsh
chemicals of cleaning, abuse of scrubbing....

Nope. I've used it for a number of things, including the mounting pad
for my outboard bracket, and after 5 years, that pad still llooks
exactly like the day I installed it. It's not all that soft. It's very
similar to the HDPE used for commercial kitchen cutting boards, except
it has been UV stabilized.

How easily does Star Board work with a chisel, planes, and similar hand
tools? *I've worked with some other fake woods and they are pretty ornery in
this regard.

It will dull the edge quicker than wood, but other than that it's just
fine. Doesn't respond well to fine-grit sandpaper though, you've got
to cut a good edge or surface and leave it.

Jere Lull wrote:
I think SaltyDog covered the "working" aspects of it, but I wonder
about the longevity of the stuff. It's soft and I expect likely to
discolor fairly quickly if it's left in the sun, subject to the harsh
chemicals of cleaning, abuse of scrubbing....

Nope. I'm not sure how long they've been making the stuff... ~15
years? Anyway, I know of several people who have used it for exterior
projects more than ten years ago, and it still looks like new.
Disgusting.... it ain't natural I tell you!

The problem I have- it's not very strong.... it's very heavy ... it's
very expensive (almost as much as teak)

I found that the plastic lumber they sell at Lowe's or Home Depot for
building porches & decks is a good substitute, as long as you don't
want pristine white. It's also heavy, not very strong, and dulls
tools, but the stuff is made from recycled plastic and is cheaper than
all but the cheapest grade of wood.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King