Default Question for anyone who has worked with Star Board

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 19:29:47 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:17:46 +0100, "Edgar"
wrote:

I needed to drill a 1/4 hole in a thick stainless bracket on deck so I could
fix a shackle for the end of a jackstay.
I blunted three HSS drills without making much impression at all so went to
a really good tool shop they have here and explained the problem.
They sold me a cobalt steel drill especially intended for stainless and it
went through the stuff as if it was not there, producing long unbroken
strands of swarf that looked like springs.
It was a very expensive drill but the job was done in a few minutes and the
cost of several ordinary drills and lots of my time saved was worth it.
After the job was finished the cobalt steel drill still looked and felt so
sharp that it might have been new.

You can drill SS with ordinary bits but you need a *lot* of pressure
to keep it from work hardening, easy in a drill press, not so much up
the mast on a rainy day with a battery drill motor. :-)

Poor Wayne sure seems to have a lot of trouble with doing simple
things.

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:25:00 -0500, wrote:

On 17 Nov 2008 11:05:02 -0600, Dave wrote:

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:55:40 -0500,
said:

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 08:34:40 -0500,
wrote:

Go climb the mast dragging an extension cord and 110 volt drill in the
rain and get back to us, Mr. Experience!

Experienced enough not to climb a mast in the rain.

It's doubtful you have ever climbed a mast. You claim to have tried
sailing long ago, but it's pretty obvious why you now wallow around in
a floating RV. Sailing was beyond your capabilities.

So you've climbed your mast in the rain with your battery powered drill?

As a matter of fact, yes I have. It's about a 45 minute drive to my
boat. If I go there to do something, I'm hardly going to let a little
rain stop me. Wayne can't go outside when it's raining. It's far too
harsh for him. That's why he does his boating indoors.

I had promised to trash can you but this post made me break my
promise.

You mean that with all your posts about being a REAL sailor..... You
DON'T live on your boat; that you are really just a week-end ******
spouting the "knowledge" you have gained by reading YACHTING?
..
my faith in human nature is destroyed. Distroyed, I say! Back into the
garbage can with you and yours!
Cheers,

Schwiek
(goodsoldierschweikatgmaildotcom)

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:17:46 +0100, "Edgar"
wrote:

"Good Solder Schweik" wrote in message
.. .
Try drilling a half inch hole in a piece of 1/4 inch stainless on the
mast head fitting with your puny little battery drill. you'll
understand why the A.C. equipment is needed.

I needed to drill a 1/4 hole in a thick stainless bracket on deck so I could
fix a shackle for the end of a jackstay.
I blunted three HSS drills without making much impression at all so went to
a really good tool shop they have here and explained the problem.
They sold me a cobalt steel drill especially intended for stainless and it
went through the stuff as if it was not there, producing long unbroken
strands of swarf that looked like springs.
It was a very expensive drill but the job was done in a few minutes and the
cost of several ordinary drills and lots of my time saved was worth it.
After the job was finished the cobalt steel drill still looked and felt so
sharp that it might have been new.

You can drill stainless with normal High Speed Steel drills. The
secret is that stainless work hardens easily so you must run the drill
at low RPM with high feed pressure.

Try it in a spare moment. Use a sharp, say 1/4", HSS drill bit. Ram it
into the work with about all the strength you have and just jog the
trigger, if a hand drill, or use the lowest sped if a drill press.
With a little practice you will be able to drill stainless as (well,
almost as) easily as mild steel.

for the nay sayers that inhabit this site: I've been machining
stainless for more then forty years and speak from experience -- not
from the pages of a magazine.
Cheers,

Schwiek
(goodsoldierschweikatgmaildotcom)

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 08:46:30 +0700, Good Solder Schweik
wrote:

You mean that with all your posts about being a REAL sailor..... You
DON'T live on your boat; that you are really just a week-end ******
spouting the "knowledge" you have gained by reading YACHTING?

He signed up for USCG's "local boater" option.

On 2008-11-17 19:29:47 -0500, Wayne.B said:

You can drill SS with ordinary bits but you need a *lot* of pressure
to keep it from work hardening, easy in a drill press, not so much up
the mast on a rainy day with a battery drill motor. :-)

Been there, found that cobalt was considerably easier, finished the
part of our job that it could do as easily as drilling hardwood
(couldn't find 25/64ths in cobalt, so used a 3/8 cobalt to do the heavy
lifting and destroyed a few "soft" 25/64" HSS bits to finish up.)

Good bits are well worth the expense.

--
Jere Lull

wrote:

You mean that with all your posts about being a REAL sailor..... You
DON'T live on your boat; that you are really just a week-end ******
spouting the "knowledge" you have gained by reading YACHTING?

He signed up for USCG's "local boater" option.

There is a new word in the lexicon for failed sailors such as Wayne
and Dougboat. They are SAILURES

wrote:

"Good Solder Schweik" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You mean low speed, high torque, as supplied by my battery powered
drill? Amazing!

wrote:

You mean that with all your posts about being a REAL sailor..... You
DON'T live on your boat; that you are really just a week-end ******
spouting the "knowledge" you have gained by reading YACHTING?

He signed up for USCG's "local boater" option.

I can't make up my mind whether he is one of Wilbur's sock puppets or
whether he so hero worships Willie the ****** that tries his feeble
utmost to be like him.

But in either event the best place for him is straight down the old
crapper.