Norm

Default Heavy vs Medium Displacment for Ocean Passages

I want to thank everyone for their responses. It's been a very
informative. I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread
and in this one maybe get a list of some boats that might work for us.
We're heading down to Seattle again in a couple weeks and would love
to have another group of boats lined up to look at.

My wife and I use to have a Fuji 36 Ketch and are somewhat familiar
with heavy displacements boats. She was great for accomdations, ride,
and looks, but didn't sail all that great except in the trades.

It appears to me that some of the newer medium to light displacment
boats are just as strong and maybe stronger than many of the older
heavy displacement boats. I guess that's a big plus to the newer
technology and methods of construction being used in the last few
years.

I have to admit, I believe it would be a lot more fun having a Medium
displacement boat then a heavy one - as long as

1) It is built well and would be safe to take across the Pacific.
I realize safe is a relative term and each person has their own idea
of what they consider safe. I don't believe I want to running around
in a Catalina though.

2) The boat should have a fairly good ride and motion to it

3) Needs to be capable of hauling enough stores for long passages

4) should have nice long term living accomodations for 2 people and
occasional visitors

5) I would think the draft should be 6' or less to take advantage
of some of the places in the Carib and the ICW once on the East Coast.
I need recommondations on this.

6) I don't think I want to go over 40'. At this point I believe my
preference is between 36 - 40', but am open to suggestions here

7) I'd like to keep the cost between $80K - $100K. My wife and I
may be living aboard for 2 years or so till we retire and can be
adding a few items during this time.

8) I'd like something in built in the mid to late 80s or early 90s
if possible

9) A real plus would be to find one that hasn't been run too hard
and was pretty much cruise equipped. This relies on luck more than
anything else

Now - Based on the above, what boats fall in this category? Can we
start developing a list of boats that meet this critera?

dbraun

Normally I do not recommend boats, but since your criteria are very close
to my own, I am attaching my own personal favorites list here. This list
is in no particular order. All these boats are medium to heavy
displacement and typically full keeled. I will offer some rationale at the
end of the list.

1. Windjammer 34 (wooden decks)
2. Dreadnaught 32
3. Rafiki 37 or 35
4. Roughwater 33
5. Fantasia 35
6. Westsail 32
7. Baba 30
8. Tayana 37
9. Ingrid 38
10. Freya 39
11. Ohlson 38?
12. Southern Cross 31, 35, 39
13. Aries
14. Westsail 42
15. Spencer 35 Mk II
16. Cabo Rico 38
17. Oceanic 36
18. Young Sun 35/Windward 35
19. Hans Christian 34, 36, 38
20. Mariner Polaris 36
21. EO 36
22. Mao Ta 36
23. Union 36
24. some CT's (Ta Chiao)
25. Nan Tai 37
26. Explorer 45 aft cockpit
27. Shannon 37, 38 (normally rigged as ketches and may have centerboards
28. Alajuela 39 ( very narrow sterns)
29. Cape George 36 (wooden decks)
30. Fraser 36
31. Jason 35
32. Rival 38
33. Tashiba 31, 36
34. Kogen 38 (centerboards)
35. Bayfield 36
36. Ta Shing panda 38
37. True North 34
38. Lord Nelson
39. Bentley 38
40. Globe/Falcon 38
41. CT 34
42. Pacific Seacraft Mariah 32

The 3 biggest issues for me are safety, a sea kindly ride and the ability
to carry a lot of weight. Do not underestimate the amount of stuff you
will be filling your boat with. 6 anchors, 300' chain, scuba tanks, 80 gal
diesel, 100 gal. water, big big batteries, liferaft, rodes, inflatable
dinghy, outboard, propane bottles, refer compressor, redundant spares,
etc., etc., etc. You get the idea.... and your boat gets 4000 lbs heavier.
A light dispalcement boat is no longer a light displacement boat when
loaded for cruising. Up to a point, the heavier the displacement, the less
that 4000 lbs. affect the ride of the hull.

A fin keeled boat almost always has a fairly flat bottom in area ahead of
the keel. You would not beleive how these boats pound when going to
weather ESPECIALLY when they are overloaded for cruising. In race trim,
the may dance over the waves, but loaded down they pound and oilcan. Plus
that flat botton means no bilge sump and if you have a leaking hatch while
heeled, you will find all your food floating in your lockers.

Of all the boats on that list, I think that you would be hard pressed to
do better than a Tayana 37. There have been several sold in the past year
for less than $50K FULLY LOADED/CRUISE EQUIPPED with modern gear that
worked (not somebody's beat up yard sale finds). I ended up buying a
Rafiki 35 for $7,500. A much lower price, but with some deck leak issues.

David
S/V Nausicaa

JAXAshby

on the list the below, a Roughwater 33, a Southern Cross 31, an Aries 32 (along
with a Weatherly 32) are all the same hull built by the same people in the same
factory. The decks were different.

[...]

Skip Gundlach

Without rehashing what's already been said, I'd like to throw in an
additional recommendation for the Fantasia 35.

I *really* liked its design, in the 50+ HN (the earlier ones had hull design
issues) series, but I was just a bit too tall. There's a variety of them
available if you look hard enough, and there's a web (fantasia35.com) site
devoted to it, with nearly every one made located along with an active
forum, so you can figure there's a fair amount of knowledge about the type.
I've seen one of the ones currently shown for sale...

Generally they'll do what you want, inexpensively, if not the same age you
want...

L8R

Skip and Lydia

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a
clear night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize
that you are quite alone on a great, wide sea, it is apt to occur to
you that in the general scheme of things you are merely an
insignificant speck on the surface of the ocean; and are not nearly
so important or as self-sufficient as you thought you were. Which is
an exceedingly wholesome thought, and one that may effect a
permanent change in your deportment that will be greatly appreciated
by your friends." - James S. Pitkin