posted to rec.boats.building

Default Maintenance of Wood

Hello Everyone,

My main hatch and forward are made out mahogany and Plexiglas. We had
them installed several years ago. At that time, the builder had
sanded and varnished them. We have not taken care of it until this
year. We plan on sanding it this year and instead of using varnish we
want to use Interlux Precote. Do you need to use Liquid 333 then
apply Precote after sanding? Or, can you just apply Precote after
sanding?

Thanks
posted to rec.boats.building

So your going to paint precoat primer over varnished mahogany after many
seasons of no
upkeep? Is the varnish still solid or has it chipped? If the varnish has
chips or cracks in it I
would recommend stripping the varnish off & priming the bare wood. The
reason for this is,
if the varnish has been compromised moisture will find it way in there &
lift the varnish &
the new paint that's over it. But if the varnish is still sound a heavy
sanding & yes I would
wipe with the 333 brushing liquid, to remove fine dust & it will help with
bonding the precoat
to the varnish.

Bill

wrote in message
Hello Everyone,

My main hatch and forward are made out mahogany and Plexiglas. We had
them installed several years ago. At that time, the builder had
sanded and varnished them. We have not taken care of it until this
year. We plan on sanding it this year and instead of using varnish we
want to use Interlux Precote. Do you need to use Liquid 333 then
apply Precote after sanding? Or, can you just apply Precote after
sanding?

Thanks

Maintenance manuals? Robert M. Gary General 11 April 1st 08 03:39 PM
gearcase maintenance Michael General 4 April 9th 07 02:43 AM
Maintenance complete Eisboch General 1 August 29th 06 04:47 AM
Royalex maintenance Mountain Dave Touring 2 May 18th 04 03:19 PM
Winch Maintenance N1EE ASA 3 April 25th 04 04:34 PM