posted to rec.boats.building

Default Boat wiring - instruments

I'm rehabing my old '90 Chris Craft Limited 245....I/O...350
cobra...runs great.. I'm- basically redoing all of the front end
wiring, instrumentation and breakers (was in **** poor condition when
i got it). I have the instrument panel on my workbench and I'm wiring
up the new instruments....daisy chaining the Ground, the Ignition, and
Light terminals. Checked my continuity between the instruments on
each line (G, I, L), and of course since they are all daisy chained, i
get continuity. Great, that is expected. What isn't expected is
that i am getting continuity across the G, I, L, and S terminals on
the instrumenets, including instruments right out of the box with no
wiring hooked up to them. This doesn't make sence that this would
be. I wired everything up and tested my lightning and even though it
appears there is a short across the terminals, the lighting works.
The majority of my instruments are Teleflex, if that matters.

Any suggestions??

On May 31, 6:45 pm, Brian Cleverly wrote:
wrote:
[...]

What Ohm scale range are you using on the meter ?

You are reading the resistance of internal components... Increase the meter
scale range to highest and see what you get... I'll bet it is not a dead short.

Brian C

i'm getting about 70 ohms between IGN and GND, 1 ohm between LGHTS
and GND, 70 between LGHTS and IGN, and about 85 between IGN and SNDR.

wrote:

[...]

The only reading that could be called anywhere near to a "short" is the
LGHTS-GRND. That will be meauring the resistance of a light bulb. Why don't
you remove a bulb and check it specifically.

Personally, without knowing the specific instruments, I'd say everything is AOK.

Brian C

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I get the same thing across the bulb....Guess everything is fine
then. I'm used to working with AC where any continuity across hot and
ground is a very bad thing!!

wrote:

[...]

Measure the resistance of a cold incandescent bulb sometime. AC or DC
doesn't matter. Cold they are nearly a short.

--
“TANSTAAFL”

America: Ironically, the safest place to be anti-American.
the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." - Proverbs 22:3

posted to rec.boats.building

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 07:41:01 -0500, dazed and confuzzed
wrote:

Measure the resistance of a cold incandescent bulb sometime. AC or DC
doesn't matter. Cold they are nearly a short.

The resistance goes up 30 to 50 times as they heat up.

Casady

wrote:

Measure the resistance of a cold incandescent bulb sometime. AC or DC
doesn't matter. Cold they are nearly a short.

The resistance goes up 30 to 50 times as they heat up.

Casady

my point exactly. He's measuring them cold.

--
“TANSTAAFL”

America: Ironically, the safest place to be anti-American.
the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." - Proverbs 22:3

general boat wiring? Shaun Van Poecke Electronics 36 March 13th 07 06:46 PM
Help wiring bass boat Brian Electronics 2 May 19th 05 04:41 PM
Fishing boat wiring Doug General 23 July 3rd 04 06:41 AM
Replacing sail boat marine instruments. John Cotton General 5 January 21st 04 03:31 AM