posted to rec.boats.building

Default what van der stadt is this?

Hi all,
hoping someone can identify this 30 foot van der stadt for me and any
information available on it?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&ih=011

Ive looked around on the net, but could find no information except,
maybe that its a dogger? or a vita? doesnt look like a pioneer. I
have contacted the seller looking for more info, but no replies. It
looks like a ply boat, and probably with a drop keel from the look of
the pictures?

Would welcome any thoughts on this one, Its in adelaide in australia,
if i do buy Id need to sail it to melbourne and not sure if this
vessel is a blue water capable boat or not. Would have preferred
something with a 3/4 keel rather than a fin keeler, but seems more
people are doing blue water sailing with fin keels thesedays?

Thanks!

Shaun
posted to rec.boats.building

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:46:09 -0700 (PDT), imagineero
wrote:

[...]

Try http://www.stadtdesign.com/English/book.htm

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct Addr is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)
posted to rec.boats.building

Thanks Bruce,
But even if i was willing to shell out AU$100+ for a book which may or
may not have this boat in it, I think the boat would most likely be
sold by the time the book arrived.

Shaun

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....tem=3202450731....

Ive looked around on the net, but could find no information except,
maybe that its a dogger? *or a vita? *doesnt look like a pioneer. *I
have contacted the seller looking for more info, but no replies. *It
looks like a ply boat, and probably with a drop keel from the look of
the pictures?

Would welcome any thoughts on this one, Its in adelaide in australia,
if i do buy Id need to sail it to melbourne and not sure if this
vessel is a blue water capable boat or not. *Would have preferred
something with a 3/4 keel rather than a fin keeler, but seems more
people are doing blue water sailing with fin keels thesedays?

Thanks!

Shaun

Tryhttp://www.stadtdesign.com/English/book.htm

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct Addr is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

posted to rec.boats.building

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:52:33 -0700 (PDT), imagineero
wrote:

Thanks Bruce,
But even if i was willing to shell out AU$100+ for a book which may or
may not have this boat in it, I think the boat would most likely be
sold by the time the book arrived.

Shaun

Frankly these e-bay boats aren't usually a good deal. there was a
discussion in the group about a boat listed as being in Singapore. I
could tell from the photo what marina it had been in and the next time
I was in Singapore I visited the marina (where the boat was supposed
to be) and it was not there. I asked the Dock Master about the boat
and from his remarks the boat hadn't even been in the marina for a
year or more.

"imagineero" wrote in message
Hi all,
hoping someone can identify this 30 foot van der stadt for me and any
information available on it?

Dear Shaun
It looks like a Dogger, although I've never seen one with a lifting keel or
centreplate. Mine has a fin keel with 1,600 kg of cast iron in it (a bit
heavy to lift). In the fixed keel version, they are very capable sea boats
and used to do well in the Cape to Rio races in the past. A slightly
modified one came second, IIRC, in the Cape to Bahia race a couple of years
ago, with an octogenarian at the helm! They are quite fast, very sea kindly
and a pleasure to sail. There is a very similar boat, known in South Africa
as the Royal Cape One Design, which is about a foot shorter and a bit
narrower - the Dogger is 8'6" beam and 31' overall. I don't think RCODs
usually have sink, stove or heads.

They are built of plywood but the design is excellent and they last quite
well. Mine is 28 years old and although I have replaced a couple of metres
of deck (look for rot/soft ply at back corners of cabin) the repairs are
easy to do. If left in salt water the hulls seem to last - there are several
around here (Cape Town) which must be around 30 years old.

Cabin designs vary and my plans show two or three alternative layouts. Mine
has a longer raised section - the saloon - and a shorter forward section
than in the ebay photo. Layout is V berth forward; heads to stbd and sink to
port in between two bulkheads; and then the saloon with two settee berths
and rather basic galley. There are also two quarter berths but I use one of
them for stowage and on some boats it is closed off and used as a cockpit
locker. The cockpit is large and seats 4 in comfort or 6 at a push. There is
a large locker aft running the full width of the boat. Headroom is fair -
about 6' under the sliding hatch and about 5'6" to 5'8" elsewhere.

Hope that helps.
John.

posted to rec.boats.building

"imagineero" wrote in message
Hi all,
hoping someone can identify this 30 foot van der stadt for me and any
information available on it?

Have just taken a look at a local broker's site and I have to say that I now
think the e-bay boat might be a Royal Cape One Design. The mast seems set
very far aft and the forestay seems to come out of the foredeck, rather than
at the stem, as on the Dogger. Take a look at http://cape.iyb.co.za/iyb/ and
search on RCOD for details.
Regards,
John.