posted to rec.boats.building

Default Sailing the MiniCup

I took one of my MiniCups out today on a local lake with about 12 kts
wind. She did very well after my recent major repairs. She seemed to
point BETTER than 45 degrees to the wind. Of course this gets worse
as the wind gets less. In wind more than this she is a wet boat.
The older MiniCup is showing her age although I use her less. She has
not been overall epoxied like #2 so her mild steel screws are all
starting to rust through and this is causing some obvious problems.
If you build one, I strongly reccomend spending the extra money for
stainless or bronze screws. I'd really like to see a stitch and glue
version of the MiniCup.
There were a bunch of kayakers on the lake today and we left em far
behind in a hurry.
I get tired of bailing her out every time it rais because I cannot
seem to keep a cover over her so I am thinking of putting in a cockpit
drain.

On Apr 13, 10:09 pm, wrote:
[...]

Where the boom and upper spar come together at the bottom, the thin
walled Al tubing has torn so the two tubes are about to separate. My
planned solution will be to insert a dowel into each tube with the
dowel wrapped in glass. The dowel will have a slot cut into it for
insertion of a piece of that G-10 glass reinforced material. The G-10
will have the bolt holes for the pivot.

sailing the rebuilt MiniCup [email protected] Boat Building 0 April 15th 07 03:30 AM
MiniCup sailing afternoon [email protected] ASA 1 January 12th 06 05:14 PM
More Minicup sailing Parallax Boat Building 1 October 23rd 04 11:14 PM
minicup sailing Parallax Boat Building 2 September 25th 04 02:18 AM
Sailing "Tadpole" (new MiniCup) Parallax Boat Building 4 June 3rd 04 06:54 AM