posted to rec.boats.building

Default Crack in mast support beam

Some advice please.

I had just finished off getting my Vivacity 20 yacht ready for the
coming season when I made a rather alarming discovery (that's sailing
for you: a succession of alarming discoveries interspersed with the
occasional sail!). I noticed a large crack in the arched beam that
runs under the foredeck around the bend where it dips to run under the
port side deck.. The beam is presumably intended as a support for the
deck-stepped mast. On investigation, I noticed that this had been
previously filled (with silicone!) and painted over by a previous
owner. I bought the boat last year and sailed all last season without
any obvious problems, and for all I know the crack may have been there
for years before I bought the boat. On probing the crack, which runs
all the way around, I found there was solid material beneath (i.e. the
beam does not appear to have broken all the way through). I am
wondering whether all that has happened is that the GRP that sheathes
the beam has cracked and whether I need to worry about structural
integrity? Why has the crack reopened? Has this been caused by mast
compression (maybe overtightened shrouds)? I intend to fill the crack
with a good epoxy product: will this be sufficient, or do I need to
investigate more radical solutions?

These old Russell Marine boats were built pretty chunkily, so I'm
hoping that I don't need to embark on major repairs or adaptions.

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 12:02:13 +0000, wrote:

[...]

One caveat. If the crack actually had a silicone based filler injected
you will have to ensure that every trace of silicone is removed before
you use epoxy or it won't adhere well.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)
posted to rec.boats.building

I may be telling you something you already know, but a 'trick' I have used
to fill cracks is to get a syringe with a large needle and inject the epoxy
deep.

Here in the states, these syringes and needles can be bought at a farm
supply store. They're used for cattle.

Could be that you just found a natural fault in the wood. I would get the
silicone cleaned out, fill the crack as deep as possible and keep an eye on
it. If no other stress cracks open up, you're probably OK.

Crack in the Mast Vito ASA 1 November 25th 04 02:45 AM
how many rod holders 8'6 beam jim General 7 January 30th 04 11:22 AM
Mast Rake and Mast Bend DSK ASA 48 January 16th 04 08:07 PM
Humminbird Tri Beam should I buy? luv2bafield Electronics 5 January 10th 04 12:35 PM
Beam Me Up Scotty! Bobsprit ASA 1 November 12th 03 04:45 AM