posted to rec.boats.building

Default "tent" type dinghy

OK, I do not want an inflatable dinghy cuz they row poorly. My
original dinghy was 8' of fiberglass and very heavy and took up too
much space. Portaboats (folding dinghy) is both heavy and makes too
much windage leaning against stanchions, my Two-paw-9 nesting dinghy
is also too heavy and a pain to assemble in spite of my advanced L
bracket and clamp system replacing the original bolts.
SO, what I want is a dinghy that works like a modern backpacking tent,
held "up" by tension of strong but lightweight poles. Two
longitudinal ones at gunwales, one at the keel, one across transom ,
one across center and then all joined at the bow. This should have
light weight fabric over it with reinforcing at stress and wear
points. The center crossbeam should hold a seat for good rowing
efficiency and another at the rear for a passenger. Does such a thing
exist? Is any design available?
posted to rec.boats.building

In article
,
wrote:

[...]

D.C. Beard's 1911 book _Boat-Building_and_Boating_ describes an
"Umbrella Canoe" along these lines on pages 43-47. Dan Beard was the
founder of the Boy Scouts of America, if I have my history right, or at
the least one of the earliest Boy Scout leaders, and so his books are
aimed more at Boys than at experienced mariners. That said, the design
is interesting and suggests your ideas are at least somewhat practical,
for what you desire sounds more or less like one-half of this boat,
scaled up a fair bit.

A reprint of the book is available from Lee Valley tools for around
$10.00. A good library may also have a copy, or be able to get one from
inter-library loan. (The "plans" are more suggestive illustrations than
complete lines-and-offsets affairs.)

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot
posted to rec.boats.building

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 09:30:35 -0500, wrote:

I don't think fabric will work out for a dinghy. Simply too fragile.
Dinghys lead a hard life.

They don't look all that rugged but Platt Monfort's boats have a
following:

http://gaboats.com/

I once saw one somewhere in our travels.

posted to rec.boats.building

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 09:30:35 -0500, wrote:

held "up" by tension of strong but lightweight poles.

For some value of 'tension' that reflects the fact that tent poles are
always loaded in compression. Give or take lift from wind. In the
latter case the poles carry no significant loads.

Casady

posted to rec.boats.building
us us is offline

wrote in message
[...]

I have tried every kind of dingy I can find.
And just like you, they are either too big, tip too easy or just a pain in
the but.
I needed something that would fold easy and sit on the wing nets on my
trimaran.
So here is what I found, even has a sail adaptation if desired.
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/or...dex.htm#Videos
I just started mine, all cut out and just waiting for warmer weather so I
can epoxy coat and paint it.
Have had it dry assembled and it is amazing.
I am using clear fabric, so I can see below.
Has partial wooden floor boards, so you do not sit on the fabric.
Folds up nicely (less than 5 minutes).
Only problem I had was one misprint in the plans and the weight.
Most builders are coming in at 40pds or so.
Mine is 40pds without paint or epoxy.

posted to rec.boats.building
Senior Member

I am so sick of these "designers" selling boats and plans with illegal
non-flotation configurations.. Just my opinion...
posted to rec.boats.building

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 03:43:49 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I am so sick of these "designers" selling boats and plans with illegal
non-flotation configurations.. Just my opinion...

I was under the impression that you could build whatever you want for
your own use.