posted to rec.boats.building

Default Sailboat fuel tanks

I am installing a new engine in my Morgan OI41. Since the main tank
(mounted on the stbd side against the hull) was 30 years old I decided
to replace it. Had to cut it out in 3 pieces which means that the
replacement has to be made into 3 separate tanks. I realize that each
of these tanks will need its own vent but I would like to connect the
tanks so that I do not need separate fills and picks up. In other
words I want to join them with a flow-thru at the bottom so that when
I fill the first tank it flows into the other two.

This means joining the tanks in some way. I have a tank builder (in
Miami, Florida) who is proposing to connect them with 1 1/2
connectors. However he is unable to adequately explain how he
proposes doing this I am hoping that someone in this group has had
experience in replacing (and connecting) replacement tanks.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Joe
posted to rec.boats.building

There are some very specific standards about the engineering of boat fuel
systems. One rule i recollect is that, with the exception of diesel tank
drains, all plumbing, whether for fills, vents, supplies or returns, should
be to the top of the tank. I'd ask my insurer, or their favorite surveyor,
which set of rules they prefer to go by.

wrote in message
[...]

Quite a discussion on sail fuel tanks at rec.boats.cruising recently.
Take a look at that thread, and post there as well.

MW
posted to rec.boats.building

Default Ping: M Worrall

Please contact me off list.

Lew

On Feb 3, 3:16*pm, wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure why you can't put a single tank back in. A friend of mine
had one built into a space on his boat. He had the welder measure it,
build parts of it in his shop, place the parts into the area and
welded it up in place. It worked fine, he pressure tested it as well,
but would have had one hell of a job if he had a leak and couldn't get
at it.

John

On Feb 5, 9:35 am, Capt John wrote:
On Feb 3, 3:16 pm, wrote:

[...]

I would think twice about this. If you get a bad load of fuel all
your fuel will be contaminated. While I am cruising I like to file
one tank at a time just to make sure that I have something that I know
runs. With all the horror stories you hear about bad diesel keeping
it separate seems like a good idea to me.

Joel
posted to rec.boats.building
Ike Ike is offline

Location: USA

On Feb 3, 3:16 pm, wrote:

[...]

Joel- Hide quoted text -

There is a section on this page about fuel tanks http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/fuel.html
If this is a diesel then I would go with one tank, or two. Not three.
The number of problems that can occcurs multiplies with the number of
tanks. Gasoline tanks are required to have all fittings on the top of
the tank. Diesel tanks can have fittings that aren't on the top but
usually the only one is a clean out fitting at the bottom. If you
cross connect the tanks you will need a fuel shut off in the pipe
connecting them so you can isolate the tank. Both tanks should have
seperate vents and fills because if you don't then the tanks can't be
isolated. Being able to isolate the tanks is very important. If a
tank gets contaminated you don't want it spreading to the other tank.
The pick ups from the tank should be separate too but after a valve
for each feed line, then connect together to form a single line
leading to the filters and engine.

Peter EIkenberry

plywood fuel tanks Sir Karl Boat Building 2 January 7th 07 04:32 AM
Plywood fuel tanks Sir Karl Cruising 10 January 7th 07 04:30 AM
Fuel and water tanks hprofit2518 Boat Building 6 June 6th 04 06:40 PM
plastic fuel tanks Andy C UK Power Boats 7 October 20th 03 02:04 PM
diesel fuel tanks P.C. Boat Building 2 August 22nd 03 04:10 AM