posted to rec.boats.building
Senior Member

Default plywood for a tiny boat in Sydney, Australia?

On Jul 17, 8:37 pm, Bruce wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 18:34:12 GMT, cavelamb himself

wrote:
Bruce wrote:

A trick I learned from a guy who does it every day is to grind a
radius on one corner of a putty-knife. He had several in different
sizes and radius. With the metal blade he could pretty well scrape all
the excess filler off the panels leaving only the fillet and then,
before the filler had hardened he taped over the fillet and rolled it
out. It takes a bit of practice but cuts out all the sanding of the
fillets.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Bruce, you've been most helpful, so I'll add a tip of my own.

I've learned to mask off the area to be taped.

Make the area a touch larger than the width of the glass tape to be
used. You don't want the glass laying over teh mask!
Duct tape works fine as epoxy will not stick to it.

Then lay in the filet and glass tape and epoxy.

This makes for very neat seams with little clean up required.

Well, it works for me, anyway!

Richard
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/index.htm

Most guys in the business do exactly the same thing anytime they are
using something that can make a mess. If you are putting in ports with
sikaflex, for example, Mask around the area the sika will contact,
maybe leave a very tiny gap. Then after you set the port and the seka
just starts to harden you strip off the tape and you are left with
almost no clean-up at all.
Great stuff, masking tape.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Forgive this if it is a repost, I have had some posting problems
lately so I am trying again.

For spreading and shaping resin, find some old leather. I have an old
piece of striking leather from the cotton mill down Huntsville Ala,
during my travelin' days Anyway, the stuff is about 1/4 inch thick
and smooth on one side, very stiff. I cut squares and two or three
different radius on the corners, one at a nice 90. I use them to
spread, and smooth glass and resin.

Another way to make taping seams easier is to put 80% of the resin for
a seam down before the cloth. Lay down your wet cloth, and use the
rest of the pot to lay on top. It is much easier to push cloth into
wet resin than to push resin into dry (white) cloth. In most cases,
putting wet cloth, onto wet surface will make your life much easier

For tighter work or where you need to pass through limbers and such,
or where I want no or little run off, I have a piece of formica
counter top I use to pre-soak the cloth, squeegee it to taste, fold it
up, and lay it out wet on wet. Formica cleans up easy with a rag and
thinner. If you don't have a chunk of formica you can also lay out and
tape or staple down wax paper.