posted to rec.boats.building

Default Help! How do I get rid of this oder in my boat!

Ok, Here it is! Has anyone seen the episode of Jerry Seinfeld where the
parking valet gets in Jerry's car and leaves a body oder in the car so bad
that Jerry can't find anyway to get rid of the smell? He finally has to get
rid of the car! I don't want to do this with my boat. I recently bought a 92
Chris Craft 302 Crowne. The boat had been laid up for 2 years without any
use. The boat was stored in the water and was winterized properly by a
reputable marina. The problem is a lingering arm pit oder. I've tried "Damp
Rid, Fabreze, Air wicks, Bilge Pro Cleaner, Clorox Bleach with Lemeon scent,
Lemon Scented Lysol, RV Oder Absorber" The oder has diminished alot, but I
still get wiffs of the smell. Sometimes extremely strong.

Heres what I've tried:

1: All the upohlstery has been cleaned and sprayed with fabreze
2: Carpets have been shampoo'd
3:Bedding has been washed
4: matresses have been cleaned and sprayed with fabreze
5: Forward Bilge has been cleaned with Bilge Pro and Clorox Bleach with
Lemon (you can eat out of the bilge its so clean)
6: Shower has been cleaned with Lemon Lysol
7: Air conditioner drain pan has been cleaned with Clorox
8: Air conditioning intakes, vents, and ducts have been sprayed with Lysol
9:Head has been treated with head treatment and with clorox
10:All surfaces have been wiped down with lysol
11rains have had clorox run through them

I have put the air fresheners in the boat, oder eliminators, and even damp
rid. Nothing seems to work. If I run the air the smell is less but if the
interior gets hot holy cow!

Any suggesstions?

posted to rec.boats.building

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 07:25:35 -0500, "Bryan's Wildblue News"
wrote:

...The problem is a lingering arm pit odor. I've tried "Damp
Rid, Fabreze, Air wicks, Bilge Pro Cleaner, Clorox Bleach with Lemeon scent,
Lemon Scented Lysol, RV Oder Absorber" The oder has diminished alot, but I
still get wiffs of the smell. Sometimes extremely strong.

Any suggestions?

On a cool day, rig a hot air hair-dryer, and play it selectively over
a square yard at a time, slowly.
Smell for the consequences, to locate the source, which may just be
hanging on the cabin surfaces.....

Brian Whatcoitt Altus OK

posted to rec.boats.building

On Jun 18, 5:25 am, "Bryan's Wildblue News"
wrote:
[...]

In air conditioner units the smells are usually trapped in the
condensate area. Are the condensate lines plugged. Do they drain
overboard or into the bilge?

posted to rec.boats.building

Open every door drawer and compartment. Close every outside hatch or vent.
Mix regular bleach with white vinegar in a glass bowl at a 1:1 ratio. Let
this sit overnight. If the boat is large or the areas very confined use more
than one bowl in each area. The results are amazing! Chlorine gas
sterilization. Works well for musty basements too.

John

oups.com...

"pesceuomo" wrote in message
Open every door drawer and compartment. Close every outside hatch or vent.
Mix regular bleach with white vinegar in a glass bowl at a 1:1 ratio. Let
this sit overnight. If the boat is large or the areas very confined use

more
than one bowl in each area. The results are amazing! Chlorine gas
sterilization. Works well for musty basements too.

And if you stay inside, you'll never smell anything again. Ever....

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.building

On Jun 20, 3:38?am, "Meindert Sprang"
wrote:
"pesceuomo" wrote in message

Open every door drawer and compartment. Close every outside hatch or vent.
Mix regular bleach with white vinegar in a glass bowl at a 1:1 ratio. Let
this sit overnight. If the boat is large or the areas very confined use

more
than one bowl in each area. The results are amazing! Chlorine gas
sterilization. Works well for musty basements too.

And if you stay inside, you'll never smell anything again. Ever....

Meindert

At your local grocery store or hardware store buy a bottle of Consan
triple action twenty. Use the hair dryer to isolete the cause and
then spray with Consan. This is a very good product. I use it in my
business all the time.

Ron

posted to rec.boats.building
Senior Member

On Jun 18, 8:25 am, "Bryan's Wildblue News"
wrote:

Any suggesstions?

Look for a dead animal (mouse) somewhere in the boats hull, just a
suggestion. I got one in my jeep once. The little ******* got up into
the windshield frame and died, took a good while just to find it, not
to mention taking it out and fumigating the frame with bleach..

wrote:

Any suggesstions?

Look for a dead animal (mouse) somewhere in the boats hull, just a
suggestion. I got one in my jeep once. The little ******* got up into
the windshield frame and died, took a good while just to find it, not
to mention taking it out and fumigating the frame with bleach..

I once had a chest freezer that went out at the beginning of a two
week vacation. Apparently I accidentally kicked the cord out of the
wall as I walked thru the garage. We had just packed it with a half a
beef. When we got back the stench was unbelievable when I lifted the
lid. Everything inside was liquefied except for the bones. I closed
the lid and turned the thing back on and after it was frozen solid I
removed the contents as chunks of ice. The odor remained however.

I had previously heard from a friend that had bought a nice car real
cheap because someone had died in it and left an odor. He cleaned the
car to no avail. But then he took a mayonnaise jar lid and pilled up
a pile of ground pepper in the middle. Then he wetted it down with
lighter fluid and lit it on fire. After the fire went out the peak of
the mound of pepper was glowing like a punk. He left that sitting in
the car till it burned out. The odor was gone but replaced by a new
odor, the odor of burning pepper. Not as bad, and it faded out.

I tried it on the freezer and it worked like a charm. It was a couple
of months before the burning pepper odor was gone, but is was more
pleasant than the rotten meat smell.

wrote:

...The problem is a lingering arm pit odor. I've tried "Damp
Rid, Fabreze, Air wicks, Bilge Pro Cleaner, Clorox Bleach with Lemeon
scent,
Lemon Scented Lysol, RV Oder Absorber" The oder has diminished alot, but I
still get wiffs of the smell. Sometimes extremely strong.

Any suggestions?

On a cool day, rig a hot air hair-dryer, and play it selectively over
a square yard at a time, slowly.
Smell for the consequences, to locate the source, which may just be
hanging on the cabin surfaces.....

Brian Whatcoitt Altus OK

As I said, it was a couple of months, but it faded out.