posted to rec.boats.building

Default Finishing a boat to make a cruising houseboat

I'm interested in acquiring a cruising houseboat. Recently I came
across what looks like a good opportunity:

DE GROUT 36 Shotblasted, empty shell, faired and painted. Windows and
deck hatches fitted. Davits, ladder and diving platform. All ready to
be fitted out. Year: 2000.

My question is: realistically, how much could it cost to finish it and
turn it into a cruising houseboat (in the UK)? I'd just like a rough
estimation to get an idea if it's worth looking further or not.

posted to rec.boats.building

On 20 May 2007 02:50:22 -0700, Doly wrote stuff
and I replied:

DIY or get it done? To what level? etc etc.

I'm interested in acquiring a cruising houseboat. Recently I came
across what looks like a good opportunity:

DE GROUT 36 Shotblasted, empty shell, faired and painted. Windows and
deck hatches fitted. Davits, ladder and diving platform. All ready to
be fitted out. Year: 2000.

My question is: realistically, how much could it cost to finish it and
turn it into a cruising houseboat (in the UK)? I'd just like a rough
estimation to get an idea if it's worth looking further or not.

posted to rec.boats.building

I do not believe that a boat of 36' is incapable of being a cruising
houseboat, unless it is a cube. My advice would be to list all the amenities
you MUST have on the boat to meet your criteria first. Then using paper
scale cutouts and a matching scale lines plan, see what fits first. As a
rough estimate, you may use the cost of outfitting an empty house of the
same size for a cost estimate, then double it. You would be close then.
Steve

"Doly" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm interested in acquiring a cruising houseboat. Recently I came
across what looks like a good opportunity:

DE GROUT 36 Shotblasted, empty shell, faired and painted. Windows and
deck hatches fitted. Davits, ladder and diving platform. All ready to
be fitted out. Year: 2000.

My question is: realistically, how much could it cost to finish it and
turn it into a cruising houseboat (in the UK)? I'd just like a rough
estimation to get an idea if it's worth looking further or not.

rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 January 18th 06 05:48 AM
Bought a Reinel 26' FamilySailor ASA 290 August 11th 04 02:29 PM
oday 25, for the beginner or not? Phracktal Cruising 12 June 7th 04 05:43 AM