posted to rec.boats.building
J. J. is offline

Default East Arctic Kayak - Ply or Stripper Version?

After a lot of Googling for kayak plans I have finally stumbled upon a
design that I like simply for the look of it, the East Arctic Kayak,
characterized by a flat bottom, prominently pointed upswept bow, and a
large displacement. Web sites that I've found show how to build these
boats in the skin-on-frame style but none seem to provide hard data for
strip or plywood versions of these. Do any of you know where I can find
drawings or measurements that can be applied to such modern construction
methods? Failing that, how does one go about making a decent ply/strip
version from a traditional skin on frame design?

Thanks,

J.
posted to rec.boats.building
Mik Mik is offline

J. wrote:
After a lot of Googling for kayak plans I have finally stumbled upon a
design that I like simply for the look of it, the East Arctic Kayak,
characterized by a flat bottom, prominently pointed upswept bow, and a
large displacement. Web sites that I've found show how to build these
boats in the skin-on-frame style but none seem to provide hard data for
strip or plywood versions of these. Do any of you know where I can find
drawings or measurements that can be applied to such modern construction
methods? Failing that, how does one go about making a decent ply/strip
version from a traditional skin on frame design?

Thanks,

J.

Does the skin on frame design have forms? If so, cedar strip will work,
using the same forms. If you go this way, grab Ted Moore's Canoecraft
and Kayakcraft books before you start. They are universal about how to
handle a lot of the situations you have to face.

posted to rec.boats.building

This site has plans and instructions for lots of ocean kayaks in both
strip and plywood. There is an extensive online instruction section
with photos but you have to buy the plans to get the plans for molds.

http://oneoceankayaks.com/index.htm

They are really pretty kayaks and seem pretty tough. This site has
helped me in planning my canoe build. The description here is better
than what I got with my plans from the designer of the canoe.

Bill

posted to rec.boats.building

On 14 May 2007 16:37:45 -0700, Bill
wrote:

This site has plans and instructions for lots of ocean kayaks in both
strip and plywood. There is an extensive online instruction section
with photos but you have to buy the plans to get the plans for molds.

http://oneoceankayaks.com/index.htm

They are really pretty kayaks and seem pretty tough. This site has
helped me in planning my canoe build. The description here is better
than what I got with my plans from the designer of the canoe.

Bill

Which reminds me - I bought the antithesis of an ocean kayak coupla
weeks ago with the intention of exploring the local brooks n streams.

Mountain High at Wichita, Ks sold me a demo model Perception Swiftie
9.5 at well under $300 and it did just what I wanted - I can manhandle
it on and off a sub compact's roof, and paddle it in some comfort and
stability.

Such a relief! My last experience with a Perception was an early 14
ft round keel, rockered rotomold in natural polythene color which just
would not go straight, AT ALL! But would it ever roll......

Just couldn't build at this kinda price

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

posted to rec.boats.building

Google Nick Schade. While he sells plans & also custom-fabricates
kayaks, there is also a builder's forum on his site. I discovered this
forum after my wife & I built a CLC kayak. There is more info & tips
as well as helpful people in that forum than anything i've ever seen.

Sure wish I found that forum before we started construction rather
than after....

All the best,
Ron

Ron Lane