posted to rec.boats.building

Default Replacing teak 'backrests' in cockpit

I have a beautiful new 38' sailboat that has only one problem, it is
nearly forty years old. The 'backrests' in the cockpit area are teak
veneer with a plywood core. I noticed the veneer was soft and cracked
at one point due to the plywood becoming rotten inside. A couple of
other spots are hideous because the veneer is wearing through. Id like
to replace all of it with solid teak or again with the veneer and
marine plywood. What I know nothing about is fiberglass. How would I
go about setting the new woodwork into or onto the fiberglass, not to
mention how do I get the old stuff off? Is there a reason the teak is
not solid and has a plywood core? What kind of caulk is used to seal
the joints? Can I use a standard wood filler to fix the problem until
I am ready for the project? Does the fiberglass become weak where the
bolts go through meaning they need to be reinforced? How does one go
about that?
Ignorantly,
Rudy

posted to rec.boats.building

Rudy

What year, make & model is your boat? This might help in getting a
more precise answer from the group.

Is the current woorword bolted/screwed on to the boat or glued on ,
sort of as an insert? There are a number of "goops" such as 3M 4200
or equivalent that can be used as adhesives and caulks when replacing
the wood on your boat. My preference would be to replace whatever is
there with solid wood. Pay close attention to how it was put together
when you take it apart and reverse the process when you put it all
back together.

Matt

The Bigger Cockpit Capt. Rob ASA 3 August 16th 06 12:38 PM
Some teak questions John Garrison Boat Building 4 May 27th 06 05:54 AM
replacing forward cockpit drain hose, valves, ranger 26 [email protected] Cruising 41 April 24th 06 07:40 PM
Teak cockpit grate Gerald Atkin Cruising 9 November 10th 04 12:10 AM
Alternative to teak for cockpit coaming Ron Magen Boat Building 5 August 25th 03 10:53 PM