posted to rec.boats.building

Default Glues, etc.

Barend Mighelson of Montreal and David Beede of Florida have both used
construction adhesive (liquid nails, polyurethane adhesive) for stitch
and tape construction. David discusses it on his website www.simplicityboats.com.
Barend used to have a website but I haven't looked at it for a long
time. Try a search on his name.

I've used both urea formaldehyde (plastic resin) and polyurethane on
small boats like the pirogue, but I've used the screwed and glued
chine batten construction method. Take a look at www.ncf.ca/~ag384/Boats.htm.
The Dogskiff is urea formaldehyde. The others are polyurethane. I've
only used LePage's Bull Dog brand PL Premium but Dave Beede has tried
other kinds.

I prefer the polyurethane to the urea formaldehyde for lower cost,
greater working temperature range, and lower clamping pressure.

I don't tape the outside of the seams. Just make sure they are sealed.
I use polyester resin for that, but sometimes epoxy which I buy in
small "household glue" package. Sand the edge smooth, mix a drop or
two at a time, and spread on the edge with a toothpick. I have butt
joined plywood panels with polyester resin and fibreglass cloth. Look
at the Delta on my website,but I prefer plywood butt blocks with
polyurethane. Spread the polyurethane with a puttty knife. Also wear
gloves because the polyurethane takes a week to wear off.

PS the screw and glue method allows you to assenmble the boat dry (dry
fit) then take it apart and assemble it permanently with the adhesive.
I use 3/4" battens and 3/4" wood screws spaced 4" apart on 1/4"
plywood. Drill pilot holes and offset the ones on the side pieces 2"
from the ones on the bottom so the screws end up spaced 2" apart.