posted to rec.boats.building

Default sounders

I am going to buy a sounder for use in my aquaculture operation. I
need it to be as accurate as possible in determining if my mussel
socks are touching the bottom or are 1' off the bottom. The water is
only 20 feet deep and it is a mud bottom. Some people are using SiTex
106-L which has 300 watts of power and 50 or 200KHz and some are using
Furuno FCV 620 which has 600 watts of power and I saw one with a
Hondex. For my application is there any advantage of one over the
other? Also My boat is aluminum and some dealers are telling me to use
a bronze transducer but make sure it is isolated with plastic bushing
and other are saying use a special ordered aluminum transducer. And
finally would it be most accurate if it pointed straight down or would
having it 10 degrees off to one side (flat against the hull) make a
big difference, if so could I fabricate a level flat spot on the hull
to mount it to but would this create to much turbulence for it to read
properly? I want it as far forward as possible not on the stern. Thanks

posted to rec.boats.building

Not sure I can answer any of your questions but I would throw another one
in. Have you thought of the side scan capability and would it not be
cheaper to use a diver to go down regularly to do a visual?

Brian

mark wrote:
[...]

Got a friend that builds large aluminum research boats with special
sounding equipment. This equipment is really super and shows everything
underwater. Course, the one they had at the Seattle boat show had a
price tag of $425,000 just for the sounding setup!!!
Gordon

On 23 Feb 2007 07:57:09 -0800, "mark" wrote:

[...]

In 20 ft of water, you can use a sounder with the least power
available. It would be better to avoid dissimilar metals for obvious
reasons. I would feel reasonably comfortable with a transducer at a
ten degree cant - because for this depth, you can easily verify the
reading with a string and a lead weight one time

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
posted to rec.boats.building

The rule is higher frequency for shallow depths. Low frequency for large
depths. At your depth, the lowest power with short pulse length and highest
pulse recurrent frequency is best. Be sure to calibrate with lead line at
installation. Install straight down.
Steve

oups.com...

On Feb 24, 10:05 am, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
The rule is higher frequency for shallow depths. Low frequency for large
depths. At your depth, the lowest power with short pulse length and highest
pulse recurrent frequency is best. Be sure to calibrate with lead line at
installation. Install straight down.
Steve

"mark" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]
properly? I want it as far forward as possible not on the stern. Thanks- Hide quoted text -

For the fairing block should I make it recessed into the hull or
protruding out.

posted to rec.boats.building

I don't believe it matters much. It will not disturb the operation of the
unit unless it is very turbulent.
Steve

"mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 24, 10:05 am, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
The rule is higher frequency for shallow depths. Low frequency for large
depths. At your depth, the lowest power with short pulse length and
highest
pulse recurrent frequency is best. Be sure to calibrate with lead line at
installation. Install straight down.
Steve

"mark" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

"mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am going to buy a sounder for use in my aquaculture operation. I
need it to be as accurate as possible in determining if my mussel
socks are touching the bottom or are 1' off the bottom. The water is
only 20 feet deep and it is a mud bottom. Some people are using SiTex
106-L which has 300 watts of power and 50 or 200KHz and some are using

I cant see a problem. Just drop them to the bottom, and pick them up a
foot. Voila!! 19'.

kg

posted to rec.boats.building

KG,
Your solution is way too complicated! It is much simpler to buy a
sounder, after torturing yourself as to which is the best, install it at
added expense and then learn that the exact depth is a little fuzzy
especially if the bottom is muddy.
Dave

"Kevin Gunther" wrote in message

oups.com...

sounders mark General 10 February 24th 07 08:58 PM
Installing second Depth sounder Peter Hendra Electronics 7 July 13th 05 01:08 PM
Depth sounders to show negative numbers Phil Stanton Electronics 24 April 13th 05 11:49 PM
Sounders Grumpy General 4 December 7th 03 12:58 AM
Faulty depth finder attributed to whale attack!! Sidney Greenstreet ASA 77 October 13th 03 01:24 AM