posted to rec.boats.building

Default Airex cored hull

Someone once told me his airex cored hull tested "wet". What does this
mean? I thought water couldn't go anywhere in airex and if the glass is
properly bonded, it ain't going that route either! I don't get it. And
if there was some water in there, so what?

Gordon
posted to rec.boats.building

I think that Airex is a closed-cell material, but Airex and other core
materials are often kerfed to facilitate bending to the contours of he mold.
These kerfs are often not filled, so they provide paths for water to travel,
sometimes great distances.

"Gordon" wrote in message
Someone once told me his airex cored hull tested "wet". What does this
mean? I thought water couldn't go anywhere in airex and if the glass is
properly bonded, it ain't going that route either! I don't get it. And
if there was some water in there, so what?

Gordon

posted to rec.boats.building

I think the usual deal with water in Airex composites is water between the
fglas and the Airex. Problem is freezing leading to further loss of bond
and it goes downhill from there. I was told by a surveyor that every rudder
he ever tested showed water infiltration (solid layups). How does the water
get in? Probably at fittings or at places where the glass has been abraded
by grounding.
DAve

What are you going to do? Joe ASA 21 December 14th 06 07:54 PM
Hull Design & Displacement Hulls winder General 0 December 28th 04 11:00 AM
The future of yacht design - 10 myths scotched Frank ASA 0 June 28th 04 02:42 PM
Hull structural grids The_navigator© ASA 14 November 13th 03 08:21 PM
Hull speed theory? Sakari Aaltonen Boat Building 28 July 22nd 03 09:30 PM