posted to rec.boats.building

Default securing a sliding hatch

Hello, I am trying to reconstruct a sliding hatch entry in my
companionway. This had louvered, saloon style doors which swing closed
and the hatch then slides towards the stern to close off the
companionway.
My question is: What prevents it from sliding forwards again? I
thought it must have some kind of stick on the underside of the slider
that is string loaded and clicks into place when the hatch is fully
closed but it doesn't look like there's any room for that.
The boat is fiberglass but has extensive wood trim. The hatch, trim
and saloon doors are wood throughout.
Does anyone have a similar arrangement on their boat that they could
describe.
Thank you.
posted to rec.boats.building

If the hatch had a hasp sticking out of it's after end, a piece of flat
metal with a hole in the end, that hasp could pass through the junction
of the two door halves at the top. If the two door halves each have
flat pieces of metal sticking out, they could meet in a single hole
location, to receive a padlock. All this artfully concealed under a
small overhang, of course.

Terry K.

ray lunder wrote:
Hello, I am trying to reconstruct a sliding hatch entry in my
companionway. This had louvered, saloon style doors which swing closed
and the hatch then slides towards the stern to close off the
companionway.
My question is: What prevents it from sliding forwards again? I
thought it must have some kind of stick on the underside of the slider
that is string loaded and clicks into place when the hatch is fully
closed but it doesn't look like there's any room for that.
The boat is fiberglass but has extensive wood trim. The hatch, trim
and saloon doors are wood throughout.
Does anyone have a similar arrangement on their boat that they could
describe.
Thank you.

posted to rec.boats.building

I've seen two ways of doing this.
The more common solution is to attach to the companionway slide a metal
tongue or staple which extends through the door which closes last or the top
drop board. This is secured with a padlock from the outside.
The other approach is to mount some form of latch or lockset to the door or
dropboard such that its strikeplate is in the sliding hatch. This has the
virtue of being operable from the inside.

"ray lunder" wrote in message
Hello, I am trying to reconstruct a sliding hatch entry in my
companionway. This had louvered, saloon style doors which swing closed
and the hatch then slides towards the stern to close off the
companionway.
My question is: What prevents it from sliding forwards again? I
thought it must have some kind of stick on the underside of the slider
that is string loaded and clicks into place when the hatch is fully
closed but it doesn't look like there's any room for that.
The boat is fiberglass but has extensive wood trim. The hatch, trim
and saloon doors are wood throughout.
Does anyone have a similar arrangement on their boat that they could
describe.
Thank you.

posted to rec.boats.building

I am in the process of installing a Jimmy Proof type of Latch/Lock with the
lock in the hatch board and the striker on the sliding hatch. Looks like it
will work out nicely and be secure. I plan on using the same lock for the
lazarette hatches in the cockpit all keyed alike. This is one of many
projects but I will let the group know of the end result and post some pics
over there.
- Allen

. ..

"ray lunder" wrote in message
Hello, I am trying to reconstruct a sliding hatch entry in my
companionway. This had louvered, saloon style doors which swing closed
and the hatch then slides towards the stern to close off the
companionway.
My question is: What prevents it from sliding forwards again? I
thought it must have some kind of stick on the underside of the slider
that is string loaded and clicks into place when the hatch is fully
closed but it doesn't look like there's any room for that.
The boat is fiberglass but has extensive wood trim. The hatch, trim
and saloon doors are wood throughout.
Does anyone have a similar arrangement on their boat that they could
describe.
Thank you.

posted to rec.boats.building

That sounds like the arrangement on the first cruising boat we had. Real
slick after seeing padlocks on most other boats.
This one could not be locked or unlocked from inside.

"bushman" wrote in message
I am in the process of installing a Jimmy Proof type of Latch/Lock with the
lock in the hatch board and the striker on the sliding hatch. Looks like it
will work out nicely and be secure. I plan on using the same lock for the
lazarette hatches in the cockpit all keyed alike. This is one of many
projects but I will let the group know of the end result and post some pics
over there.
- Allen

. ..

"ray lunder" wrote in message
Hello, I am trying to reconstruct a sliding hatch entry in my
companionway. This had louvered, saloon style doors which swing closed
and the hatch then slides towards the stern to close off the
companionway.
My question is: What prevents it from sliding forwards again? I
thought it must have some kind of stick on the underside of the slider
that is string loaded and clicks into place when the hatch is fully
closed but it doesn't look like there's any room for that.
The boat is fiberglass but has extensive wood trim. The hatch, trim
and saloon doors are wood throughout.
Does anyone have a similar arrangement on their boat that they could
describe.
Thank you.

posted to rec.boats.building

I am using a double cylinder lock which will need a key to lock and unlock
from the inside. This is a dangerous setup if you lock yourself in and need
to exit quickly. I will have a key with a rod brazed on to make a big "T"
handle and that key will stay in the lock when we are onboard. The advantage
is that if the bad guy breaks in thru a hatch he can not open the
companionway to haul my stuff out. The other advantages of the Jimmy-Proof
locks is that they can't be pried open and a nice flush finish on the
surface, no hasps to scrape your shins on. - Allen

"bushman" wrote in message
I am in the process of installing a Jimmy Proof type of Latch/Lock with
the lock in the hatch board and the striker on the sliding hatch. Looks
like it will work out nicely and be secure. I plan on using the same lock
for the lazarette hatches in the cockpit all keyed alike. This is one of
many projects but I will let the group know of the end result and post
some pics over there.
- Allen

. ..

"ray lunder" wrote in message
Hello, I am trying to reconstruct a sliding hatch entry in my
companionway. This had louvered, saloon style doors which swing closed
and the hatch then slides towards the stern to close off the
companionway.
My question is: What prevents it from sliding forwards again? I
thought it must have some kind of stick on the underside of the slider
that is string loaded and clicks into place when the hatch is fully
closed but it doesn't look like there's any room for that.
The boat is fiberglass but has extensive wood trim. The hatch, trim
and saloon doors are wood throughout.
Does anyone have a similar arrangement on their boat that they could
describe.
Thank you.

Deck hatch question [email protected] UK Paddle 2 July 18th 06 10:47 AM
HELP: Reduce Condensation under Lewmar Hatch cvj Cruising 5 March 24th 06 02:52 PM
Fixing a leaky GEBO Deck Hatch cvj Cruising 1 December 21st 05 10:36 PM
hatch umbrella Parallax Cruising 1 October 27th 04 07:32 PM
Marine sliding doors/windows? Michal Cruising 3 April 14th 04 03:20 AM