posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle

Default Deck hatch question

Dear All,

I am new to kayaking and have recently bought a sit on top Ocean Kayak
for paddling down our local river.

I would like to fit a deck hatch to allow some dry storage.

My local kayak shop sells hatches that cost around £30. I understand
you need to cut a hole in the deck to which you presumably screw in
place the threaded 'female' part of the hatch.

Would they screw in place using self tapping screws or is there some
sort of thread insert you can use. I have access to Pemsert type thread
inserts here at work.

Do I need to spend this much on a kayak specific hatch or could I use a
inspection hatch from a boat chandler?

http://www.force4.co.uk/ProductDetai...3-e3448c528532

These are much cheaper, but would they be suitable? Are there any other
options?

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks,

Nick

wrote:

My local kayak shop sells hatches that cost around £30. I understand
you need to cut a hole in the deck to which you presumably screw in
place the threaded 'female' part of the hatch.

Would depend on the specific hatch design, but most of those I'm
familiar with (usually Kajak Sport or VCP) don't screw into place but
are glued/glassed/binded/en-gooped.

Glassing is only really an option on a composite boat, but speaking to a
chandler/boatbuilder might reveal some interesting poisonous solvent
based stuff that will hold it fast if it's a plastic hull. Sikaflex is
generally pretty good (expensive but very good silicone sealant type
stuff), but speak with those in the trade before deciding is my advice.

If you do screw you'll probably want some sort of sealant for the holes.

Do I need to spend this much on a kayak specific hatch or could I use a
inspection hatch from a boat chandler?

Depends what you want to put in and out. 8" hatches are workable but a
PITA for general loading, I imagine 6" would be quite a bit worse, but
if it's just to drop in a flask and a piece box it would be quite adequate.

These are much cheaper, but would they be suitable? Are there any other
options?

Dry bags lashed to the deck is the easiest option. Main downsides are
more clutter and windage. Drybags are still suggested for in-hull
stowage, and again you'll find a 6" entrance would make matters fiddlier
there.

HTH, Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle

Thanks for that.

I am planning on getting dry bags too, I think I'll have to attach some
extra loops to the deck as attachment points.

I think a hatch will be very handy too.

The kayak is polyethylene so I understand it is quite difficult to use
adhesives on.

I will probably seek advice from my local shop, I just didn't want to
spend over the odds if I don't have to!

Regards,

Nick