posted to rec.boats.building
Guy Guy is offline

Default Invitation for students of all ages to study BOATOLOGY

I am interested in finding cheaper and simpler ways for ordinary folks
to build sailboats in their backyards. Not only is this field useful
in that it empowers people to do rewarding exotic things with their
leisure time, but sailboats consume virtually no energy, and they slow
people down, which I hope makes them more contemplative.

Also, since most research in this area is done by amateurs, it is not
difficult for students to reach that "cutting" edge where one is on
the frontier of knowledge. In other words, you don't have to
accomplish much to call yourself a "boatologist".

I am a math/physics prof who is interested in ON-LINE collaboration
with middle and high school students or clubs. I charge no money, but
will pay no money either. But there are many important topics that can
be investigated on a shoestring budget.

To get a taste for how fun this is, visit Craig O'Donnell's Cheap
Pages at
http://friend.ly.net/users/dadadata/

I have several on-going projects myself. One involves a controversial
method that might cut the cost of building a large wooden sailboat by a
third. Another involves finding a proper glue that can be used by
young children to construct self-designed model boats using the same
boatbuilding methods used by amateur boatbuilders. These projects are
outlined on my homepage at

http://faculty.valpo.edu/gvandegr/

To learn about other possible areas of investigation, visit my homepage
and contact me!