posted to rec.boats.building
GSS GSS is offline

Default wood veneer over formica?

My boat has a blah formica interior...I was thinking about covering the
bulkheads with teak veneer. I noted several adhesion options,
including pressure sensitive backing, heat activated glue, and contact
cement. I'm concerned about the veneer holding up to a boats humid
interior. Has anyone tried this? How did it work out?

GSS wrote:
My boat has a blah formica interior...I was thinking about covering the
bulkheads with teak veneer. I noted several adhesion options,
including pressure sensitive backing, heat activated glue, and contact
cement. I'm concerned about the veneer holding up to a boats humid
interior. Has anyone tried this? How did it work out?

I was in the same "boat" with faded wood grain formica. I checked out
the veneering options and figured I could make a major purchase, like a
sail, air conditioner or rebuild my tranny for what it would cost to
veneer all the formica on my GS 41. Plus I'm sure I wouldn't get the
money out of it when I sell (I know this doesn't happen anyway, but I
consider my time to be worth at least as much as the materials).
I opted to "revitalize" the formica on the lower surfaces with
stain/urethane and paint (off white to match the liner) the higher surfaces.
The lower surfaces look rich and the upper much cleaner and brighter. To
me it looks a lot better than what some have done with painting all the
verticle surfaces bright white.
Cheap way out? Maybe, but it looks a lot better and works for me.
MMC
posted to rec.boats.building
GSS GSS is offline

This formica is not woodgrain, but a solid mauve color...probably
looked very modern in the late 80's. I wanted to go with wood veneer
to make it feel and look more like a boat and less like an apartment in
Miami.

joe smith wrote:

GSS wrote:

[...]

Understood. Probably still looks better than the faded wood look. When I
was checking my options, I was interested in the self adhesive, iron on
version. I did a little wall papering in the past and hated messing with
the glue.
Hope it goes well.
MMC

joe smith wrote:

GSS wrote:

[...]

I would think that contact cement will work, just prep the surface. As
far as doing the whole cabin, I'd think again if I were you. I have the
opposite of what you have, all teak, and I'd love to get rid of most of
it, it makes the cabin too dark, I've seen the same boat as mine with a
good bit of mica, and it looks much nicer and brighter, makes the cabin
look bigger. So if I were you, I'd add some wood, but I wouldn't get
carried away, and that wood needs oiling as well, something the mica
doesn't need. Also, my head has wall paper on it (37 Topaz), and it
looks really nice. I've seen other boats with it as well, expensive
boats, it gives the surface a nice look, but keeps it bright and it
cleans up easy. It might be worth a try, a combination of some wood,
some paper, and some mica might be what your looking for. Just my two
cents.
John

Wood rot in sheathed 1876 Smack Gerdjan Boat Building 9 November 12th 15 04:30 PM
nu2 woodworking - my epoxied wood is delaminating,.. James Johnson Boat Building 1 October 23rd 05 05:06 PM
Wood rot Joe Blizzard General 1 August 30th 05 05:13 AM
Composite stringer grids Rich Stern General 55 November 23rd 03 02:24 AM
Steam bending basics?? steamer Boat Building 11 August 28th 03 04:29 PM