posted to rec.boats.building
joe smith joe smith is offline

Default wood veneer over formica?

GSS wrote:
This formica is not woodgrain, but a solid mauve color...probably
looked very modern in the late 80's. I wanted to go with wood veneer
to make it feel and look more like a boat and less like an apartment in
Miami.
joe smith wrote:

GSS wrote:

My boat has a blah formica interior...I was thinking about covering the
bulkheads with teak veneer. I noted several adhesion options,
including pressure sensitive backing, heat activated glue, and contact
cement. I'm concerned about the veneer holding up to a boats humid
interior. Has anyone tried this? How did it work out?

I was in the same "boat" with faded wood grain formica. I checked out
the veneering options and figured I could make a major purchase, like a
sail, air conditioner or rebuild my tranny for what it would cost to
veneer all the formica on my GS 41. Plus I'm sure I wouldn't get the
money out of it when I sell (I know this doesn't happen anyway, but I
consider my time to be worth at least as much as the materials).
I opted to "revitalize" the formica on the lower surfaces with
stain/urethane and paint (off white to match the liner) the higher surfaces.
The lower surfaces look rich and the upper much cleaner and brighter. To
me it looks a lot better than what some have done with painting all the
verticle surfaces bright white.
Cheap way out? Maybe, but it looks a lot better and works for me.
MMC

Understood. Probably still looks better than the faded wood look. When I
was checking my options, I was interested in the self adhesive, iron on
version. I did a little wall papering in the past and hated messing with
the glue.
Hope it goes well.
MMC