posted to rec.boats.building

Default My HEAD, is killing me because my HEAD on the boat isn't legal

Gordon wrote:
cause across the Straits, Victoria still dumps all its raw
sewage in the Straits to the tune of 19 to 34 million gallons per day
(depending on which estimate you use). And this hasn't caused any
problems to anyones knowledge!

The environmental groups are having fits. It's an International Border
problem, Tijuana's municipal sewer system regulary belches raw sewage
into the Pacific through a drainage on the US side of the border!

Quaint town though, Victoria, compared to TJ.

posted to rec.boats.building

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 19:02:06 GMT, "NE Sailboat"
wrote:

All I want to do is comply. What I would really like to do it some sort of
porta potty. It makes sense since I am nowhere near a pump out, ever.

REPLY:
That would work just fine. Take out the old head. Remove the
seacocks and then build a flat platform as needed for a self-contained
porta-pottie. Some have removable tanks that make it a little eiser
to take ashore with you...

Bucket as "backup" is optional :-)

-al-

posted to rec.boats.building

I have a solution iI haven't used much lately, due to illness, I
haven't been sailing for a year and a half. I hope to be back at it by
the spring.

My head is a standard holding tank, deck pump out and port / sea
discharge valve. I can use a tire pump to pressurise the system via
the vent lines to purge it through the valve offshore. If no pump out
is available, I can purge the system via a probe inserted into the head
discharge from outside the boat at it's home anchorage in my cottage's
front yard into a floating oil drum which can be rolled ashore, dragged
to the pickup and trucked away.

The 12 volt tire pump trick is quick and cheap, especially priced next
to a macerator pump. I think it should be the essential base equipment
on any marine head system.

I was once thinking to initiate a mooring service where I could empty
several tanks and take the stuff away in the "stink dinghy." It would
be a premium service, I wouldn't want to do it cheap. Owners could
provide a vent connection to pressurise the discharge and a probe in
the discharge could allow unattended service with the boat locked up. A
special flag signal could be hoisted to request service. Coordination
could also be by cell phone appointment to accredited accounts. I
wouldn't want to maintain a vacuum extraction pump for this
application, and a properly maintained pressure system using low
pressure has been shown to work very well.

What would such a service be worth to youse all, on a commercial basis?

Seems to me that if the govt. can't enforce gas dock requirements for
pump out service, they shouldn't try to enforce use of a non existant
service.

One complaint of no pump out available should precipitate an immediate
raid by enviro-goons and a denial of gas service licence until it's
fixed. To keep operators nervous, a sign on the gas dock should be
required to provide the complaint number.

Terry K

Terry K wrote:
One complaint of no pump out available should precipitate an immediate
raid by enviro-goons and a denial of gas service licence until it's
fixed. To keep operators nervous, a sign on the gas dock should be
required to provide the complaint number.

Exactly the setup in California concerning free air supply for tires
(with purchase of gas according to the law) at all retail gas stations.
Idea is, soccer moms would rollover their Ford Explorers less if they
kept air in the tires.

Guess what, about a fourth of them are broken on any given day. Same
old story, "vandals" wrecked it, workin' on gettin' it fixed. Real
story, gas station owner ain't gonna fix somethin' that's not making
him money, to heck with the law. Guv'ment complaint number is a black
hole, as near as I can tell.

posted to rec.boats.building

The bucket gets old, particularly for those without the ability to
stand to leeward. Portapotties are used, but I've done that and
hauling the tank for cleanout can be unpleasant as well. Telling
yourself or your guests to "hold it" will diminish your opportunities
to enjoy your boat.

Have you considered a LectraSan? My Pearson 323 came with one which
fits neatly under the V-berth and permits discharge in all but "no
discharge" areas. Waste goes from head to LectraSan (where it is
treated) and then overboard through a seacock (which is not that hard
to install). You can buy an older "new" unit on eBay with controls for
less than $700.

I'm actually contemplating turning my bow water tank into a holding
tank to receive the LectraSan-treated waste to give me the option of
not discharging even the treated waste when it is not convenient (don't
discharge where you sleep,etc.) The discharge line from the LectraSan
would have a T-valve to permit direct discharge or storage. I'd
convert the water feed line to a pump-out line, but also install a pump
to permit pumping out once past the 3 mile line.

The portapotties are the definitely the cheapest way to travel and they
will install rather easily where the head now stands, but I'd consider
a more flexible and permanent solution a higher priority.

Steve Hayes

posted to rec.boats.building

Steve ,, I have been reading and reading all about ****. Don Cassey, This
Old Boat author, has a good chapter on the total
absurdity of marine heads, discharge tanks, etc.

If I read your post correctly; you have spent at least $1,000 and hours of
effort to take a ****!

And, now you have an even more elaborate plan to treat your ****!

I give you credit, you are deffinitely doing your part to save the planet.

Here is what I find wrong, or should I say, "not for me" with your head
plans.
I sail alone. Single Handed. I very seldom ever have crew. When I do, it
is for a day sail.

My "once a day" poop isn't going to ruin the world's ecology. And, I hardly
ever do this onboard if I can avail myself of a public
restroom. I do pee, quite often. Right over the side. In fact, I have
pee'd and sailed, and pulled in sheets, and trimmed, etc all at the same
time. It is very enjoyable. But messy.

I take my old blue bucket, fill er up, and dump her into the cockpit.
Cleans up quite well. You'd never know I just pee'd all over myself and my
boat.

As of today, my whole **** budget is $20 dollars. That works out to:
1. bucket
2. seat for bucket
3. marine toilet paper, the kind that is environmentally safe. { did use
old wash cloth last summer, then dragged wash cloth through ocean }
4. one magazine, old copy of National Geographic with pictures of naked
African women.

Your boat must be very sweet. Is the LectraSan on the Pearson 323 one unit?
Or, is it a head and separate from the head the "treatment" facility?

I probably will continue to use "Old Blue" for the time being. I have a
bunch of project to do on my boat, hundreds of dollars worth. Make that
thousands. And at the bottom of my list, after sails, rigging, anchors,
deck, hull, dinghy, galley, navigation, electronics, ..... after a second
hand copy of Monopoly and a deck of cards .......... after at least ten used
books ............ after at least 50 old DVD movies .........
after cd's, after sailing clothes, way/way after mosquito netting,
............ certainly after VHF radio ..... and way after mooring
equipment ....
maybe .................. well could be ............................... I
don't know...

A head.

I have started to design a better bucket though. I worked on this last
night. After looking at a similar bucket to the one I have been using,
I asked myself "what would make this bucket more comfortable, safer, etc".

The answer is stability! What makes an old bucket different than the old
toilet/head which was on the boat? Stability. The old head; poop gets
mixed with ocean water and then gets pumped overboard. The old bucket:
poop gets mixed with ocean water and get thrown overboard. Both end up
floating by the very expensive Hinkley with the trophy wife who is about 30
years younger than the asshole lawyer she is married too. Ahah .. I have
accomplished a noble goal. My stink awash against that stinking Hinkley!

Take that big time asshole! Ya ...

Sorry,, where was I ..

Oh, stability. So, anyway. I looked at my bucket and realized I will need
to expand the bottom so that is will be a good platform. Since I will be
doing some epoxy work, I will use the extra to attach a wing, or bottom
wings to my bucket. The old bolts from the former toilet/head are still in
the floor. If I can get some sort of quick release I will use those. Even
if not, my wing will sit on top of the bolts and I will cut a hole in the
bucket wing so that the bolts are sticking up into the wing. Not attached
........... oh nooooo .. don't want to break the law.

I also am looking for a more substantial bucket. Last year's bucket was a
hardware store model. Flexability was a problem. I need a bucket with a
strong side. Did look at the Home Deport bucket. Maybe ?? I might take
two or three buckets and put one inside the other. This will make one
strong bucket. At the top I will pour in some epoxy and seal so that the
&*&*&* does not get down inside.

A wooden bucket wood be really neat. But where would I find one? I could
paint my boat name on the bucket.

The seat? I know you are wondering. I was going to use a cheap plastic
model but .... I found the answer. A hospital type seat.
I may use this as a template and carve a more comfortable seat. Put a
hanger on the bulkhead for the seat to hand when not in use.

Between my bucket (s) , seat, National Geographic, and all the music

I may spend more time in the head than sailing.

Tally ho..

I will keep a "head's" up for you.

ps.com...

steve_hayes_maine wrote:

Have you considered a LectraSan? My Pearson 323 came with one which
fits neatly under the V-berth and permits discharge in all but "no
discharge" areas. Waste goes from head to LectraSan (where it is
treated) and then overboard through a seacock (which is not that hard
to install). You can buy an older "new" unit on eBay with controls for
less than $700.

I wouldn't touch one on eBay...most of the so-called "new in box" older
units are so old that the motors will no longer work or the controller
is obsolete--no parts still available, or is missing parts, or the
seller ran it dry to "test" it and destroyed the electrode pack by doing
that. 99% of the Lectra/Sans sold on eBay would cost more to get them to
work again than the price of a new one.

I'm actually contemplating turning my bow water tank into a holding
tank to receive the LectraSan-treated waste to give me the option of
not discharging even the treated waste when it is not convenient (don't
discharge where you sleep,etc.)

No reason not to discharge treated waste from a Lectra/San in an
anchorage or even in the slip. The bacteria count is 10/100 ml (the
federal water quality standard for swimming is 200) and the waste is so
diluted and bleached that its unnoticeable to anyone except someone who
happened to be diving under the boat right next to the thru-hull.

The discharge line from the LectraSan
would have a T-valve to permit direct discharge or storage.

You DO know that once it goes into a tank it's no longer consider
treated waste...you'd have to be at sea beyond 3 miles to dump the tank
whether the waste was treated first or not.
--
Peggie
----------
posted to rec.boats.building

Hey Peggie .. I can see steve sitting at his computer going "ah ****,
another good idea down the drain".

The world of waste.

What kind of LectraSan did Columbus have? Did Joshua Slocum have a holding
tank?

Where I sail, there are lots of fisherman. They clean the fish on this
table like thing as they are heading in. Where do they dump the fish guts?

That's right ... in the ocean.

And this isn't 3 miles out! More like 1/2 mile.

Don't dead fish guts make the water unclean?

While I try to do the best I can in the pollution department. I just think
the whole "business" is out of control.

The Federal Government is about the spend another $100 billion dollars in
Iraq. Yet ,, no money hardly ever gets spent on marine
facilities in my area. There is no public landing. No public clean out.
No public access. No public marina. Nothing.

I think I am going to name my new bucket "Baghdad"

Every time I go I will be ****ting on Baghdad. Makes me want to go already.

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
t...
steve_hayes_maine wrote:

[...]

GSS GSS is offline

Best setup I built was a home depot "Homer" bucket, (a $5 five gallon
pail), with a "reconfigured" old toilet seat on top...you take the
"feet" off the bottom of the seat and reposition them so they fit just
inside the bucket rim...Sit & enjoy...height is perfect, (same as any
commode-23.5") full sized seat is perfect...I was even tempted to take
it dove hunting earlier this year...but I was afraid I would fall
asleep on the John.

Here's another solution: http://www.bumperdumper.com/bumper2.htm

--
Peggie