posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building,alt.internet.wireless

Default WiFi at Sea (technical, sorry)

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 07:54:26 -0500, "Ansley W. Sawyer"
wrote:

Have you looked at the Inscape Data Corp CB54E?

I am considering it for the top of my mast.

I looked at the specs and it seems interesting but I have not yet
tried one or heard of any first hand reports.

The key with all of these ethernet units is the quality of the
internal firmware which performs the network scan function and allows
you to select/configure an access point. It is especially important
that you can select by MAC address in addition to SSID because there
are a lot of duplicate SSIDs in some harbors.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building,alt.internet.wireless

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 10:02:10 -0500, "Bill Kearney"
wkearney-99@hot-mail-com wrote:

WRT54G

Bill, does the firmware in the WRT54G allow selection of an access
point by MAC address in addition to SSID?

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 10:02:10 -0500, "Bill Kearney"
wkearney-99@hot-mail-com wrote:

WRT54G

Bill, does the firmware in the WRT54G allow selection of an access
point by MAC address in addition to SSID?

The Wireless Mac Filter section of the router has the following options:

Prevent PCs listed from accessing the wireless.
Permit only PCs listed to access the wireless network.

And, it gives you the ability to edit the MAC filter list.

Here's the text of the help screen...

The Wireless MAC Filters feature allows you to control which
wireless-equipped PCs may or may not communicate with the Router's depending
on their MAC addresses. To disable the Wireless MAC Filters feature, keep
the default setting, Disable. To set up a filter, click Enable, and follow
these instructions:

1. If you want to block specific wireless-equipped PCs from communicating
with the Router, then keep the default setting, Prevent PCs listed from
accessing the wireless network. If you want to allow specific
wireless-equipped PCs to communicate with the Router, then click the radio
button next to Permit only PCs listed to access the wireless network.

2. Click the Edit MAC Filter List button. Enter the appropriate MAC
addresses into the MAC fields.

Note: For each MAC field, the MAC address should be entered in this format:
xxxxxxxxxxxx (the x's represent the actual characters of the MAC address).

3. Click the Save Settings button to save your changes. Click the Cancel
Changes button to cancel your unsaved changes. Click the Close button to
return to the Advanced Wireless screen without saving changes.

Not sure if that answered your question.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building,alt.internet.wireless

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 12:51:17 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

Not sure if that answered your question.

Does the same functionality apply in "bridge" mode as opposed to
"access point" mode?

Most of the MAC filter logic that I've seen is to keep unwanted guests
out of your wireless network. The issue here is how to keep your
bridge from associating with unwanted access points.

wrote:

Not sure if that answered your question.

Does the same functionality apply in "bridge" mode as opposed to
"access point" mode?

Most of the MAC filter logic that I've seen is to keep unwanted guests
out of your wireless network. The issue here is how to keep your
bridge from associating with unwanted access points.

I don't know.. you could try looking for this on the web.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building,alt.internet.wireless
You You is offline

In article ,
"Capt. JG" wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
[...]

But all these settings are on the LAN/Wireless side of the Router,
NOT the WAN side of the Router which is the side that needs to
communicate with the WiFi Access Point out in the WOLRD.......
When using this router as a BRIDGE, to bring WiFi onboard......
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building,alt.internet.wireless

Going back to the original question, Skip said:
"No amount of fiddling in the way I'd
become accustomed, which is to just type the URL of the bridge in my
browser, bringing up the setup pages, would do anything other than
bring a signup page to the pay site. I grumbled but the other sites we
had
been using were a bit less than stellar..."

Do you mean to say that when you type in the "URL" [192.168.1.100 or
something like that] of the bridge into your web browser, you get the
paysite signup page rather than the bridge's setup page?? If so,
you're
going to have to climb back up and push a reset button.

Or do you mean that you Did get into the bridge's setup pages, but
cannot
figure out how to deny the offending paysite provider?

tom
=-==
p.s. Nice pics! Tampa at christmas time?
p.p.s. I saw:
8 cranes abuilding;
7 gulls awinging;
6 slips aempty;
5...bosun's chair;safetyharness;halyardend;snapshackle Rings
4 stainless bolts;
3 copcars;
2 waterways;
and a partridge in a pear tree.
[video and imagination enhancing devices required for the last]

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building

You wrote in news:You-42B0C5.10130229122006
@netnews.worldnet.att.net:

But all these settings are on the LAN/Wireless side of the Router,
NOT the WAN side of the Router which is the side that needs to
communicate with the WiFi Access Point out in the WOLRD.......
When using this router as a BRIDGE, to bring WiFi onboard......

Skip's situation must have been in my head at Best Buy tonight. I was
looking through the 802.11N new toys and there sat one of those Linksys
WRE54G ver 3-US "Range Expanders" I found interesting. If I'm
disappointed, I can take it back within 30 days, so no loss.

My interest is to extend the range of my Netgear SPH101 Skype wifi phone
when signals are marginal because the little phone has an internal
antenna.

I shut down my access-point-in-a-plastic-bucket 50' up the tree in my
yard so only the Netgear router in the house will be online. I plugged
the little Range Extender into a drop cord I leave in my yard and sat it
atop my car with its little plastic antenna sticking up.

The quick instructions tell you to press the Auto-Configure button on the
side for 5 seconds which sets it to looking for an unsecured AP to
connect to. The power light blinks red/blue until it find one, and turns
blue when it connects itself and has a live link. Another blue light,
Activity, is solid on until data flows through the box, then it winks off
for packets so you can tell data's going through the repeater.

It took about 5 seconds to logon to my unprotected W4CSC main router, a
Netgear MIMO G box. The two lights were blue. Before I turned it on, I
noted on my little Netgear wifi Skype phone I had 32% (2 bars) of signal
out by the car. After it logged on, without reconnecting to anything, I
had full scale by the car! I called Skype Call Test's number and walked
up the street testing the connection and range. Without the tree router
outside, the range from the main router is about 50 ft outside the house.
With the 50' router and this little Range Extender on top of the car, I
walked up the street 8 houses to the top of the hill and Skype didn't
drop until I couldn't see the car any more...line of sight, of course.

The thing works! Oddly, it seems to assume the identity of the router
it's repeating and the Skype phone, at least, seems to not notice when
its signal has been hijacked by it.

My plan is to run it on the car, tomorrow, at some marginal open hotspots
to see how much better my Skype Phone will work in the marginal
restaurants, a good test of its capability. The only thing I'll have to
do, manually, is to plug its AC cord into the little 100W inverter in the
car and manually do an Auto Configure before I leave the car for it to
find new open friends to connect to in the new location. That seemed to
work fine on the way home and, quite hilariously, I noted before I forced
it to look again to find my home router, Tmobile SSID was on the air from
it, left over from the restaurant I was fooling with it on the way home.

Might be a solution for some.....but it's only +15dbm output. I don't
know how you're going to Auto Configure from the bottom of a mast on a
yacht. Maybe cycling its AC power off then on will make it hunt again.
I'll check that, but I don't think that will work from the T-mobile it
remembered on the way home....

--
http://www.epic.org/privacy/rfid/verichip.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeriChip

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 23:25:55 -0500, Larry wrote:

I don't
know how you're going to Auto Configure from the bottom of a mast on a
yacht. Maybe cycling its AC power off then on will make it hunt again.
I'll check that, but I don't think that will work from the T-mobile it
remembered on the way home....

What is needed is way to configure via an ethernet connection (at the
bottom of the mast of course).

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building

Wayne.B wrote in
:

What is needed is way to configure via an ethernet connection (at the
bottom of the mast of course).

Without the wireless router at the bottom of the mast becoming too friendly
with the bridge at the top of the mast...(c;

--
http://www.epic.org/privacy/rfid/verichip.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeriChip
http://www.verichipcorp.com/
Tracked like a dog, every license/product/tax.
Revelation 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor,
free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their
foreheads:
17 and that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the
name of the beast, or the number of his name...

A wireless (no wires to the computer) wifi solution? (very long) Skip Gundlach Cruising 3 August 10th 06 03:29 PM
A wireless (no wires to the computer) wifi solution? (very long) Skip Gundlach Electronics 3 August 10th 06 03:29 PM
Total Bobsprit Humiliation!!!! Bob Crantz ASA 12 July 31st 06 02:23 PM
WiFi Access Rusty Electronics 11 July 29th 06 06:03 AM
Improved WiFi Reception for your Vessel Mic Cruising 6 July 15th 05 11:41 PM