posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building,alt.internet.wireless
Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default WiFi at Sea (technical, sorry)

On 21 Dec 2006 21:51:45 -0800, "Skip - Working on the boat"
wrote:

Ric, what is your bridge make and model? We got great reception on our
first sail today, when Lydia got a phone call even further out than the
original post. However, I'm not at all happy with the Senao unit and
would consider an upgrade if I could get it in the same space; 250mw
would improve our already good reach a bit, but the ability to select
around the commercial sites which want to hijack and redirect the
signal is a real PITA not to have...

Skip, which Senao client/bridge are you using? I was looking at the
specs of the NOC-3220-EXT recently and it sounded interesting but I
have not tried it yet.

To solve your "hijack" problem you need client software that will
allow you to select an access point by MAC address in addition to
SSID. Some will do that but I dont't know about the Senao.

You can download the data sheet and manual he

http://static.zoovy.com/merchant/pnt..._03202006_.pdf

http://static.zoovy.com/merchant/pnt...0_20060314.pdf