posted to rec.boats.building

Default Strange looking catamaran

Anyone know the purpose of this boat?
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat1.jpg
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat2.jpg
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat3.jpg
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat4.jpg

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

posted to rec.boats.building

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Anyone know the purpose of this boat?
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat1.jpg
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat2.jpg
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat3.jpg
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat4.jpg

Some sort of research. This thing was around Pt Angeles and Sequim
Washington for a while this summer. The crew wouldn't talk much about it.
Gordon

Gordon wrote:
Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Anyone know the purpose of this boat?
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat1.jpg
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat2.jpg
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat3.jpg
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat4.jpg

It is a research vessel, investigating the swath concept in a
catamaran. It looks stealthy, but I guess if you got the bux, you can
afford a style, if you want it.

I thought I heard that it broke easly, but was to be reinforced

Terry K

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Anyone know the purpose of this boat?
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat1.jpg
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat2.jpg
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat3.jpg
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat4.jpg

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Interesting. No source of propulsion? Towed?

Wm Watt wrote:
Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Anyone know the purpose of this boat?
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat1.jpg
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat2.jpg
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat3.jpg
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat4.jpg

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Interesting. No source of propulsion? Towed?

Engines on end of each pontoon.

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Anyone know the purpose of this boat?
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat1.jpg
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat2.jpg
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat3.jpg
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat4.jpg

Just a guess but it might make a good arctic/antarctic winter research
vessel. It's wide so it wont capsize easily and the main area is out of the
water making easier to climate control and also see over large waves and
swells. It could also be a rescue ship going over the top of a damaged boat
and pulling victims straight up reducing the danger in jumping into the water
to be retrieved by a helicopter.

posted to rec.boats.building

My thoughts:
- Overall design may be to go fast and do so without shaking the
occupants too badly (see shock absorbing connections to pontoon), but
in many respects numerous surfaces of craft are not optimized for
speed.
- Overall design seems to indicate that the craft was designed for a
short operating life
- Would believe its being used for research, would disagree that it's
being used for SWATCH research --- twin hulls are not submerged in
pictures, and seem unlikely to be designed to operate submerged full
time.
- High center of gravity will lend itself to low stability, not ideal
for rough seas.
- Front Cockpit makes you wonder if this is for site seeing, except why
not windows in the back.

scbafreak via BoatKB.com wrote:
Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Anyone know the purpose of this boat?
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat1.jpg
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat2.jpg
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat3.jpg
http://priceless420.com/Pr121206funkyboat4.jpg

Just a guess but it might make a good arctic/antarctic winter research
vessel. It's wide so it wont capsize easily and the main area is out of the
water making easier to climate control and also see over large waves and
swells. It could also be a rescue ship going over the top of a damaged boat
and pulling victims straight up reducing the danger in jumping into the water
to be retrieved by a helicopter.

posted to rec.boats.building
Dan Dan is offline

Anyone know the purpose of this boat?

There's only one reason for a boat like that......
Hollywood

posted to rec.boats.building

--Aha! Now *that* makes sense! :-)

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : One joy of middle age
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : is precision flatulence...