Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.building

Default acting like a pro, getting a deal

I went to buy some Devoe paint today. I had read up on the different
primers and 2 part topcoats on their web site, and had a few questions
about the high build primers offered. Here in Canada Devoe
industrial paints (2 part epoxies and polyurethane) are sold through
ICI, which mostly sells house paints.

I knew I had the right store when I walked in and smelled the sickly
sweet smell odor of 2 part polyurethanes. I asked who was their
in-store expert on Devoe paints and we had a good discussion about my
project and what I needed.

The guy said it was a pleasure to deal with a customer who obviously
had done this sort of thing before and was happy to give me a trade
discount when I asked. He just put it on an inactive account to keep
the computer happy.

After buying 3 gallons of epoxy primers, 2 different gallons of 2 part
polyurethane topcoats, brushing modifier, non skid beads, roller
trays, foam brushes, good masking tape, and organic cartridges for my
mask, I still paid only $500. Expensive for paint, but I think it
will last a long time. He also had some discontinued Jotun ablative
anti-fouling for $98 CDN (a commercial product here) which I was happy
to buy too.

My short message here is - act like you're in the business and the
good guys will often bend over backwards to help you out.

Evan Gatehouse

USCG " many intelligence gaps" in Port Deal. New opinion now classified. Joe ASA 29 March 3rd 06 03:27 PM
OT--A practical look at the UAE port deal NOYB General 43 March 3rd 06 12:13 AM
Just an OT heads up on a great deal *JimH* General 3 June 25th 05 05:47 AM
Was this a good deal? Richjay General 5 March 6th 04 04:56 PM
OT--Amazing numbers NOYB General 66 December 10th 03 09:30 PM