posted to rec.boats.building
surftom surftom is offline

Default acting like a pro, getting a deal

Evan,

Where in Canada? - I'm putting together my supplier list right now for
a complete refit.
(I'm in toronto)

Evan Gatehouse2 wrote:
I went to buy some Devoe paint today. I had read up on the different
primers and 2 part topcoats on their web site, and had a few questions
about the high build primers offered. Here in Canada Devoe
industrial paints (2 part epoxies and polyurethane) are sold through
ICI, which mostly sells house paints.

I knew I had the right store when I walked in and smelled the sickly
sweet smell odor of 2 part polyurethanes. I asked who was their
in-store expert on Devoe paints and we had a good discussion about my
project and what I needed.

The guy said it was a pleasure to deal with a customer who obviously
had done this sort of thing before and was happy to give me a trade
discount when I asked. He just put it on an inactive account to keep
the computer happy.

After buying 3 gallons of epoxy primers, 2 different gallons of 2 part
polyurethane topcoats, brushing modifier, non skid beads, roller
trays, foam brushes, good masking tape, and organic cartridges for my
mask, I still paid only $500. Expensive for paint, but I think it
will last a long time. He also had some discontinued Jotun ablative
anti-fouling for $98 CDN (a commercial product here) which I was happy
to buy too.

My short message here is - act like you're in the business and the
good guys will often bend over backwards to help you out.

Evan Gatehouse