posted to rec.boats.building

Default Sapeli, Sipo, Okuome or...?

Hi,
I am a newbie to boat building. I have started my first project, a
small D5 Dingy, a couple of months ago. Now I am ready to order the ply
but I'm unsure as to which wood I should choose. There are lots of
differnt opinions out there.

I will threat the whole boat with Fiber and Epoxy and work with the
stich and glue technique.

Can anyone give me a good advice as to what I should buy?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Markus

posted to rec.boats.building

Markus,

I tend to agree with 'dad'. In fact I'll go one better {Cheaper}.

I have had excellent results using 'waterproof' Lauan. NOT the 'Borg
Special' at $9.95 a sheet, but close. I went to a local hardwood dealer
{lumberyard} and asked for the stuff. Made ABSOLUTELY sure we were talking
about the same thing. $14.95 a sheet for decent looking 1/4in material. I
KNOW the pram lasted 7 years - the buyer contacted me to replace the skeg
that the {house} movers had sheered off !!

The hull & transoms were sheathed with 6oz cloth and epoxy. The hull was
primed & painted, the transoms {3/4in Lauan}were varnished. Then primed &
painted interior was primed & painted.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"dadiOH" wrote in message
wrote:
Hi,
I am a newbie to boat building. I have started my first project, a
small D5 Dingy,

SNIP
I will threat the whole boat with Fiber and Epoxy . . .

SNIP

Doesn't much matter as it is just a base for the glass & epoxy.

Ron Magen wrote:
Markus,

I tend to agree with 'dad'. In fact I'll go one better {Cheaper}.

I have had excellent results using 'waterproof' Lauan. NOT the 'Borg
Special' at $9.95 a sheet, but close. I went to a local hardwood dealer
{lumberyard} and asked for the stuff. Made ABSOLUTELY sure we were talking
about the same thing. $14.95 a sheet for decent looking 1/4in material. I
KNOW the pram lasted 7 years ...

If you go the lauan route, be absolutely sure that you are getting
waterproof glued stuff -- the Borg won't be able to tell you whether
theirs has waterproof glue, and it is a very good bet that it does not.
And it will delaminate in a couple years.

Also, if you use plywood with fir veneer, be sure you use at least 3 oz
fiberglass cloth, as the fir will check through thinner cloth.

Patrick