posted to rec.boats.building
Patrick Crockett Patrick Crockett is offline

Default Sapeli, Sipo, Okuome or...?

Ron Magen wrote:
Markus,

I tend to agree with 'dad'. In fact I'll go one better {Cheaper}.

I have had excellent results using 'waterproof' Lauan. NOT the 'Borg
Special' at $9.95 a sheet, but close. I went to a local hardwood dealer
{lumberyard} and asked for the stuff. Made ABSOLUTELY sure we were talking
about the same thing. $14.95 a sheet for decent looking 1/4in material. I
KNOW the pram lasted 7 years ...

If you go the lauan route, be absolutely sure that you are getting
waterproof glued stuff -- the Borg won't be able to tell you whether
theirs has waterproof glue, and it is a very good bet that it does not.
And it will delaminate in a couple years.

Also, if you use plywood with fir veneer, be sure you use at least 3 oz
fiberglass cloth, as the fir will check through thinner cloth.

Patrick