posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

Default Epoxy on teak - How to apply?

Hi,

I am in the process of applying epoxy (105 + 207) to teak wood,
which I prepared with Teka Cleaner (A+B). I am brushing the epoxy on
with a nylon brush.

What can I do to minimize the legions of tiny bubbles in the surface? I
tried smoothing with the brush, which helps some, but not enough.

Also, the cured surface is a bit textured, not as smooth as I had
hoped. How can I make the resin 'flow' smoother?

Thanks a lot,

Chris

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

The trick I use is to heat the wood with a heat gun just before the epoxy is
applied. I believe the bubbles are the result of the epoxy heating the air
in the wood's pores so it bubbles out. If the wood is heated first, the air
is cooling and contracting and pulls the epoxy into the pores. My heat gun
is a Black & Decker plastic job made for stripping paint (cheap) (works).

It's not just the bubbles, the air leaves pin holes which are the very devil
to remove/fill.

This is only necessary when applying the epoxy to bare wood. After the
first coat, I've had no problems.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I am in the process of applying epoxy (105 + 207) to teak wood,
which I prepared with Teka Cleaner (A+B). I am brushing the epoxy on
with a nylon brush.

What can I do to minimize the legions of tiny bubbles in the surface? I
tried smoothing with the brush, which helps some, but not enough.

Also, the cured surface is a bit textured, not as smooth as I had
hoped. How can I make the resin 'flow' smoother?

Thanks a lot,

Chris

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

Question for you:

Was your teak blackened from regular teak oil and did the Teka turn it
back to teak color?

I made the mistake of trying teak oil this year thinking it wouldn't
blacken as much as it did in this climate and short season. Never
again. Also, every little drip on the non-skid that you don't see
later turn black and almost unremovable. Even wiping down with mineral
spirits vigorously immediately upon spilling doesn't prevent a black
spot a couple weeks later.

My old teak has been scraped and cleaned so many time that I hate to
take off another 1/32 of an inch.

I haven't decided what to do next spring. There seem to be as many
opinions as decks.

--

Roger Long

Roger Long wrote:
Question for you:

Was your teak blackened from regular teak oil and did the Teka turn it
back to teak color?

Some of it had been oiled and was pretty dark, and the Teka worked well
on it. It was trim though, not a deck.
I used a sponge full of vinegar to wet the surrounding fiberglass, and
to neutralize any escaping Teka Part A. Watch Part B really closely and
rinse it off in time, unless you want the wood _really_ light.

Chris

Some teak questions John Garrison Boat Building 4 May 27th 06 05:54 AM
Epoxy or Polyester for Fixing Rotten Core on Deck? [email protected] Boat Building 16 January 8th 06 01:18 AM
Teak deck removal Jim Boat Building 7 February 23rd 05 11:14 PM
Teak Finish Frank Gerry Boat Building 1 February 5th 04 03:23 AM