posted to rec.boats.building

Default Skin over frame folding rowboat?

Hi Folks,

Has anyone ever done/tried to do (home made or commercial) a
collapsible rowboat using a plastic (or other) covering on an aluminum
tube frame? There are lots of kayaks of this type and a few canoes,
but I'd really be interested in a row boat. Any practical reason this
couldn't be done?

I've considered trying to adapt a skin over wood frame non-collapsible
design, but they tend to have a lot a frame parts...

Regards,

Michael

McTrack wrote:

Has anyone ever done/tried to do (home made or commercial) a
collapsible rowboat using a plastic (or other) covering on an aluminum
tube frame?

I haven't seen tube frames, but if I remember right, Bolger had a few
collapsible design, up to and including a two-masted schooner!

-Heikki

posted to rec.boats.building

Ok, let me clarify that a bit - I am looking for a design that
collapses smaller than a "cartopper" possibly could - thus, I'm not
interested in designs with rigid/semi-rigid panels. There are kayaks
that collapse down to a backpack size, and that's what I'm after,
except I want a rowboat instead of kayak or canoe.

Regards,

Michael

Has anyone ever done/tried to do (home made or commercial) a
collapsible rowboat using a plastic (or other) covering on an aluminum
tube frame?

posted to rec.boats.building

check out yostwerks.com and see if you can adapt something or talk with Tom
and see if he might consider designing something. you might also look at
the providence river boat on Robert Morris's site and modify that following
Tom Yost's ideas.

Brian

posted to rec.boats.building

Thanks guys,

Homebuilt/designed it is...

posted to rec.boats.building

"McTrack" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks guys,

Homebuilt/designed it is...

For some ideas, look at this:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5964178.html

posted to rec.boats.building

Some years ago I noticed an article in either Popular Science (or Pop
Mechanics?), in the "new products" section, about a a folding boat....I
think it was named Pacbote, or something like that. They had a web site
and at the time I emailed the link to a friend who was interested in
weird boats....but that was on an old computer which has long since
died so I don't have the "sent message" to find....but maybe my friend
still has it. I'll ask and post iot here if he still has it.

Rich A.

posted to rec.boats.building

Found it! Its called Tote N Boat. It a folding canoe, but wider than a
conventional canoe....maybe not what you are thinking of, but here is
the link anyway :

http://www.tucktech.com/

Rich A.

posted to rec.boats.building

Thanks Rich,

Actually, I had seen that and strongly considered it (especially for
the price!), but finally decided against it on the theory that the
folds would inevitably break - I couldn't find any opinions to this
effect, however. If I could find the opinion of someone that has owned
one a few seasons, I'd probably consider it, even with the tracking
problems mentioned he

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/show...html?prod=1717

I'm currently leaning toward homebuilding a collapsible Pirogue, as it
should be simpler to build than a canoe or rowboat.

Regards, Michael