Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.building

Default Two props on one shaft?

--Wondering about this arrangement and am thinking of taking a whack
at it just for grins. I've got a relatively flat bottomed boat with a long
length of prop shaft beneath; two struts to keep shaft in line and a
relatively gentle angle between shaft and hull. At present I'm turning a
15x21 3-bladed prop but I've got a 12x21 3-bladed prop which would fit
neatly about 18" ahead of it. I know that back in 1903 Turbinia had three
shafts with 3 props per shaft and I've heard that a character I can't get
hold of at the moment tried this on his steamboat a few years back, but I
don't know if there is any scientific evidence of improvement in speed by
doing so. Comments??
--TIA,

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Proud to be the
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : family crackpot!