dale austin

Default A bit of inspiration anyone?

Greetings all;

Got back from a trip East last week. Managed a day in Mystic,
Connecticut. Here are some shots from the trip:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mrwiz...ic/mystic.html

Dale Austin

rhys

Nice. You've got a good eye. Of course, the extremely salty subject
matter helps....arrrr, avast ye and so on...

R.

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:03:42 -0400, dale austin
wrote:

Greetings all;

Got back from a trip East last week. Managed a day in Mystic,
Connecticut. Here are some shots from the trip:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mrwiz...ic/mystic.html

Dale Austin

Stephen Baker

Dale Austin says:

Got back from a trip East last week. Managed a day in Mystic,
Connecticut. Here are some shots from the trip:

Nice stuff, Dale. I'm spoilt, of course, by having Mystic just an hour away,
and Newport next door. (Wooden Boat Show starts tomorrow, too.)

Steve "let us know next time you're headed this way, would you?"

dale austin

Stephen Baker wrote:
Dale Austin says:

Got back from a trip East last week. Managed a day in Mystic,
Connecticut. Here are some shots from the trip:

Nice stuff, Dale. I'm spoilt, of course, by having Mystic just an hour away,
and Newport next door. (Wooden Boat Show starts tomorrow, too.)

Steve "let us know next time you're headed this way, would you?"

Thanks. Don't know when I'll get back your way, but know it won't be 36
years this time.

You certainly are spoilt. My long-term plan is to live much closer to
salt water-whether east or west as yet unknown. You'd think, living as
close to the great freshwater ocean as I do, that there'd be more
traditional boating stuff around-but it's pretty hard to find.

Dale

Stephen Baker

Dale says:

You'd think, living as
close to the great freshwater ocean as I do, that there'd be more
traditional boating stuff around-but it's pretty hard to find.

I've got a 40-foot design being built in Zeeland right now, kind of like this:

http://members.aol.com/Saildesign/pr...eb/Myrddin.htm

but bigger. ;-)

Steve
DSK

Stephen Baker wrote:
I've got a 40-foot design being built in Zeeland right now, kind of like this:

http://members.aol.com/Saildesign/pr...eb/Myrddin.htm

but bigger. ;-)

That's a very cool boat, I've admired it on your web page before. Sort
of a picnic trawler... wait, can Hinckley sue me for saying that?

Is the boat in Zeeland going to have the canoe stern? It is sort of like
the old fashioned cruiser sterns. More of a draketail? Or a good old
fashioned counter?

DSK

Jim Conlin

There's another side of Mystic Seaport Museum. In addition to the 'theme
park' with interesting ships and larger boats, snack bars, gift shoppes and
people in costumes saying quaint things like 'blubber' and 'trunnel', there's
a marvelous set of resources for builders of small boats.

In no particular order, there a
- courses in traditional boatbuilding methods. The crafts won't be lost.
- A fine collection of small boats. I could spend hours studying NGH's
Alerion alone. The genuine article! (Please genuflect on entering the shed).
The whitehalls and canoes in the North shed are a religious experience,
too. The not-on-display collection is stunning in its quality and
diversity.
- A livery of traditional boats. Go sailing or rowing.
- Events for boatbuilders such as the John Gardner Small Craft Weekend each
June.
- The 'Ships Plans Department", a repository of documentation of the
collection and of the work of some very fine designers (LFH, Bill Garden). I
highly recommend the book "87 Boat Designs: A Catalog of Small Boat Plans
from Mystic Seaport", by Benjamin A. G. Fuller (ISBN 0-913372-97-8),
published by Mystic.
- The Rosenfeld Collection of marine photgraphy. Enormous.

So, go where the crowds aren't and have a lovely time.

Jim

dale austin wrote:

Greetings all;

Got back from a trip East last week. Managed a day in Mystic,
Connecticut. Here are some shots from the trip:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mrwiz...ic/mystic.html

Dale Austin

dale austin

Yep, avoided the theme park for the most part and stuck to the boats.
Got a lovely ride on the Breck Marshall-best $4.50 I ever spent.
Concentrated on the boatshed (genuflect?-you mean you don't crawl in?),
the boatyard, and construction details on the small boats.

Had I a week to spare, the "backstage" is where it would be. Even so,
for a "history theme park", Mystic is a cut above in my estimation. I'm
writing an article from my notes of the day (posting to the website in a
week or so) which will be making a comparison between Mystic and
Detroit's own entry in the field-Greenfield Village.

The most obvious difference is that Mystic lacks the "encased in Lucite"
feel. Wandering through the boatyard, I had to step around piles of
ceadr and live oak that were actually going to be made into boats-as
opposed to being simply set dressing. (Hmmm, would anyone notice if I
backed my truck up to this pile here?)

Dale