posted to rec.boats.building

Default AC and Heat for Boat

Hi,

I find several water cooled systems for boats. Which are best and which
should I stay away from? I see names like Cruisair, Ocean BreezeAC,
Mermaid, Marine Air...etc.

Please advise internet sites for purchasing for boat owner installation.

Thanks for help,
marshall

PS...I am guessing that I will need a total of 5 tons to handle my 83
footer. (1942 Wheeler)

posted to rec.boats.building

I installed a Mermaid 16k unit several years ago and it's worked
flawlessly and quietly ever since. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.
Great value and warranty. If you've got that much to cool, I hope you
have 220V onboard.

posted to rec.boats.building

I just recently bought a 5,000 BTU unit that is a $100 window unit
converted to water cooled. It is realatively easy to do and is far
less expensive than a "marine" AC yet the only real difference is the
water cooled condenser.

Keith wrote:
I installed a Mermaid 16k unit several years ago and it's worked
flawlessly and quietly ever since. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.
Great value and warranty. If you've got that much to cool, I hope you
have 220V onboard.

posted to rec.boats.building

Where do you buy a water cooled window unit?
thanks
marshall

ps. Do others have ideas for boat AC/heat?

ps.com...

Keith wrote:
I installed a Mermaid 16k unit several years ago and it's worked
flawlessly and quietly ever since. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.
Great value and warranty. If you've got that much to cool, I hope you
have 220V onboard.

posted to rec.boats.building

A guy at our marina just got a standard window unit and built a little
enclosure for it on the dock. It sits out there and runs, and he ducts
the cool air into his boat with that insulated flex duct. It looks like
a rabbit hutch, but works as long as you never leave the dock!

jim.isbell wrote:

I got it off E Bay, but I can tell you how to "roll your own". Its not
dificult.

You almost have it. One small diameter of copper tubing inside a
larger diameter copper tube and coiled to save space. The ends of the
larger diameter tube are soldered to the smaller tube to create a
cavity. Then on both ends of the larger tube inlet and outlet fittings
are afixed so that you can pump seawater thru the outer jacket. The
ends of the smaller tube are connected to the in and out of the freon
where it once connected to the AIR condenser. This of copurse requires
the discharge and later recharging of the AC. On my 5,000 btu unit
there is about 10' of length. It could be left uncoiled and just bent
into a narrow "U" shape if that would be easier to "store". The shape
of the coil is adjustable to meet your needs but you must have both
ends near each other so they can be connnected to the AC unit. And of
course you have to consider the raw water plumbing needs as well.

You could also dispense with the outer tube and make the tube run along
the keel for a "Keel Cooler" as used on many commercial engines. This
would put your freon tube in an exposed area and would require through
hull fittings capable of carrying the 200 psi freon.

boat AC/heatpump MarshallE Cruising 20 June 25th 06 06:32 AM
Let there be heat! Gould 0738 General 4 November 29th 04 01:41 AM
"Heatshield" - More reefer (well, insulation) questions Skip Gundlach Boat Building 33 November 26th 04 03:11 AM
"Heatshield" - More reefer (well, insulation) questions Skip Gundlach Cruising 7 November 24th 04 11:56 PM
FS: Force 10 Cozy Cabin Heater w/ heat exchanger johng650 General 0 October 14th 03 05:03 AM