Matt Langenfeld

Default Carbon Fiber - Kevlar blend

Has anyone worked with a carbon fiber/kevlar blend fabrics?
Not quite sure what to think of them.

Seems like it is a concept trying to combine 2 cloths with different
characteristics into an overall better fabric. Intuitively, it doesn't
seem right. That's just me though.

Anyone?

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft

Phil

Having read a few books on the topic, the consensus is that the
carbon takes all the efforts so that mix is pretty useless.
The cloth LOOKS cool so its probably a good marketing ploy ?!

Matt Langenfeld wrote:
Has anyone worked with a carbon fiber/kevlar blend fabrics?
Not quite sure what to think of them.

Seems like it is a concept trying to combine 2 cloths with different
characteristics into an overall better fabric. Intuitively, it doesn't
seem right. That's just me though.

Anyone?

Derek Hartmann

There are many marine manufactures who do use these blends of fabric. In
order to cut these fabrics, you will need Kevlar Shears. For more
information for the proper shears, check out this website:

http://www.specialtyshears.com

"Matt Langenfeld" wrote in message
link.net...
Has anyone worked with a carbon fiber/kevlar blend fabrics?
Not quite sure what to think of them.

Seems like it is a concept trying to combine 2 cloths with different
characteristics into an overall better fabric. Intuitively, it doesn't
seem right. That's just me though.

Anyone?

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft
jemwatecraft.com

Stephen Baker

Matt L says:

Has anyone worked with a carbon fiber/kevlar blend fabrics?
Not quite sure what to think of them.

For structural use, calculate using only the carbon, and assume the Kevlar (tm)
is just there to stop the boat disintegratring when hit hard. That usually
works unless you are trying ot really shave weight (at which point switch to
all carbon)

Steve
Stephen C. Baker - Yacht Designer
http://members.aol.com/SailDesign/pr...cbweb/home.htm
Glenn Ashmore

Actually a pair of $10 Fiskars shop shears works every bit as well on
Kevlar as my $50 Kevlar specials but my Olfa rotary cutter from the
local fabirc shop works best of all.

However, unless you have done some really sophisticated load analysis
carbon/Kevlar blends are not the way to go. You will only get
structural strenght in the warp direction and impact resistance in the
weft. More efficient to use all carbon cloth for structure and a
separate ply of kevlar for impact resitance.

Derek Hartmann wrote:
There are many marine manufactures who do use these blends of fabric. In
order to cut these fabrics, you will need Kevlar Shears. For more
information for the proper shears, check out this website:

http://www.specialtyshears.com

"Matt Langenfeld" wrote in message
link.net...

Has anyone worked with a carbon fiber/kevlar blend fabrics?
Not quite sure what to think of them.

Seems like it is a concept trying to combine 2 cloths with different
characteristics into an overall better fabric. Intuitively, it doesn't
seem right. That's just me though.

Anyone?

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft
jemwatecraft.com

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore

Matt Langenfeld wrote:

That's what I was thinking. Just might have to tinker with some vacuum
bagging.

Carbon is no problem byt Kevlar roving is very limp and will pull out of
shape very easily. Tighter weeve Kevlar is easier. The trick is to keep
a little tension on the fibers. When you cut it off the roll pull
lightly with one hand as you use the shears with the other. Move your
pulling hand along with the shears. When you have to cut an intricate
shape lay the cloth on a flat surface and clamp around the edges. I use
spring clamps and lengths of 1 x 1/4" batten. Draw out your shape and
go over it with the Olfa cutter.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Stephen Baker

Oh, and - lest I forget later - do NOT EVER sand Kevlar, or sand down to it
through the fairing bog.
Lots of little hairy strands will stand to attention and refuse to lie down
again. Horrid stuff....

Steve

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 15:36:40 GMT, Matt Langenfeld
wrote:

Has anyone worked with a carbon fiber/kevlar blend fabrics?
Not quite sure what to think of them.

Seems like it is a concept trying to combine 2 cloths with different
characteristics into an overall better fabric. Intuitively, it doesn't
seem right. That's just me though.

It does sound strange, but perhaps it is exotic enough to be beyond
intuition. Maybe engineering data would be useful.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

The sound of a Great Blue Heron's wingbeats going by your head