Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Doug Dotson

Default Noise and generators

All I can cite is the fact that I have run a 160 amp alternator
on a single belt for about 4 years. No slip, no squeel, and
full output when needed. No problems with bearings and
still on the original belt, although I have a couple of spare
belts due to the heavier stress expected. Very happy so
far. I would use a dual belt unit if my space would allow it.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 08:50:10 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

You can go up to a 160 amp alternator without having to
resort to a large frame dual belt model.

Doug, can you cite some references on that? I've never heard of
anyone recommending 100+ amps without dual belts. I used to run a 120
amp Balmar on one of my old sailboats with a single belt. Frankly it
left a lot to be desired even at 50 to 60 amps - lots of squealing and
chewed up belts. It would never get even remotely close to 100 amps,
even for short periods. The belt slip was just too much for it.

Cold comfort Skip Gundlach Boat Building 13 October 28th 04 04:56 AM
Wind generators Nigel Boat Building 15 May 6th 04 11:02 PM
MASE generators - anyone with experience? Gould 0738 General 3 January 2nd 04 12:54 AM